Cool use for the Droid

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by mitchb2, Jan 12, 2010.

1. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

I got so tired of the kids sneaking onto the internet when they are supposed to be doing other things, here's what I did.

On the Droid, I turned on wifi, navigated to my router setup address, and created a blocked services profile just for their IP address.

I saved a bookmark for that page. Bingo! I pull up the page, activate the service, and their internet is blocked.

Now if someone would make a widget to do out with a single button press... ;)
  2. imiller913

imiller913 New Member

LOL Nice! I might have to try that
  3. droidchef

droidchef New Member

I think its a great idea personally, good work and thanks for the info

Oh...i almost forgot, this wasnt a thread about parenting, there are forums for that too!
  4. GatorDroid

GatorDroid New Member

if you really want to know what your kids are doing, try "Phone My PC". Install app on phone and PC and it remotely allows you view whatever is happening on the screen of any computer in your home. Also allows you to operate your computer from a remote location, or use the droid as a keyboard and mouse, if you use your PC on your tv. I showed my kids I could look at what they were doing without them knowing it, but I don't ever do it, they just know that I can.
  5. Guchi

Guchi New Member

wow guys lighten up he said he blocks it when the "kids are supposed to be doing other things" maybe homework and chores for a little while with no facebook updates and youtube vids? come on
  6. Rafdog

Rafdog New Member

Back on topic: I agree that some of the things you can do with the Droid are quite interesting and enhances some quality of life. Now if you want further remote control of your router there are ways to actually be able to do so over the internet. Read your routers documentation to see how you can set remote access controls on it. I'm sure it will require a static ip address, login and password to do so. Just be careful.
  7. iPirate

iPirate New Member

Great idea. As a person who gets almost no work done in front of a computer that is connected to the internet, your kids will thank you.
  8. Rafdog

Rafdog New Member

Another cool use of my Droid that I found was the ability to use it as a remote mouse for my computer. The kids were amazed at how I could control the cursor with my mind. They did not notice the Droid on my lap.

Attached Files:

9. Rafdog

Rafdog New Member

***MODS: I vote to have this thread closed as it is obvious none of us here can stay on topic. OP can you request to close the thread if you no longer desire to continue? Please.....

**MOD edit...cleaned up thread**
  10. Rafdog

Rafdog New Member

Original topic

Ok folks. The original topic is "cool us of your Droid".
  11. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

40 minutes I'll never get back. So we are all even now. Deleted 80% of the posts in here and issued a time out.

Insulting members and using abusive language never ends good.

I don't need to tell everyone what the forum guidelines are. Your all big boys...

So stay on topic or start a thread in the OT area (It WILL be kept civil).

Let this serve as a warning that next time this happens, people will be spending some time in the penalty box.

Thanks gentlemen.....
  12. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

Good job of cleaning up the detritus.
    I feel bad about it all.
  13. holdout

holdout New Member

i feel I have missed out on some interesting content
  14. Droids

Droids New Member

Well I'm glad I came in in late and missed all the nasty stuff that must have gone on. The thread was just about cool stuff the Droid can do, no need for personal attacks and flame wars. I thank CK for spending the time to clean it up, a mods job is never done. The forum is cool, and all the mods are cool, I really like to hang out here and hope everyone else does too.
  15. Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule New Member

Cool use indeed!
  16. NickWgnr

NickWgnr New Member

Oh thank god the flame war about parenting is over.

The idea of monitoring and controlling it remotely is pretty cool. I know I've seen programs before that allow you to access your home security system/cameras remotely from another computer, an app on the DROID would be really cool. You could see what the kids (or anyone for that matter) is doing inside/ outside your house and not even be there but viewing everything on your DROID.

Wagner :motdroidvert:
  17. Rafdog

Rafdog New Member

Thanks cereal killer for cleaning up. I tried directing the conversation back on course but, I got caught up in it and had to throw some jabs in there myself. For that I apologize.

Anyway..... I just found an app on the market that will help you control a quadrokopter. I found it interesting so I let the developer know. He promptly sent me a link to a site about the four propped copter. You have to build the thing yourself and it requires quite a bit of soldering. Oh well.... maybe some other time.
  18. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

I'd like to know the name of the app...I like to solder.
  19. Rafdog

Rafdog New Member

The name of the app was DUBwise. The link he sent me was MikroKopter - Wiki: MikroKopter.de . It obviously is in German but I'm sure there is an english version of the site.
  20. pinesal

pinesal New Member

The dash lights on my car don't work so at night I put my phone in the windsheild mount and run an app called Speed and I have a working speedometer to keep track of my speed.