Convince me to switch from BB?

JackButler

Reaction score
Time for us to get new phones...
I really like having my yahoo email (all I use) sent to my phone directly.
I like an easy to use calendar.
Occasional (maybe once a week) brief net searching.
The touchscreen appeals to me, but don't care for the Storm2, thinking Tour (on old Curve now)
Camera would be nice
Easy to use phone and simple texting (to wife, yes, no, etc:>)
Briefly messing with both Droids...I will not get the Moto, the Eris felt right.
So, let me have it please:icon_ devil:

thegipper

Reaction score
No one should have to convince you to get the droid. Either you've read everything about it and compared it to other phones already and you WANT it, or you don't. Sounds like you don't want it, and seem to be a basic phone user. Droid probably isn't for everybody.

FoFa

Reaction score
You just have to figure out what will work best for you.
Some folks seem to like the Droid Eris better than the Droid.
I have the Droid, and love it.
Is there anything wrong, not with the phone itself, but there would be some changes I would make. Applications have covered about half of them from the base OS, and all I have loaded have been free so far.

If you Bing each, you can find information on each. This forum has a lot of good feedback, but you have to understand most of the stuff in some of the threads sounds pretty negative, but that is the nature of the beast, you get folks complaining, but not so many going great phone. No reason to get on if you are not having issues I guess.

And like anything else there is a slight learning curve, but very slight. Once you get the hang of how to get to menus and such, it goes MUCH smoother. Specially once you learn the long click.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

OP
J

JackButler

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I have researched heavily for the most part. I was/am a firm BB believer, but do realize tech is everchanging and that there is better out there.
Thing is, I would really prefer to wait until early spring to change phones and see what else is coming out, but my wife lost her smartphone and we are capable of upgrading this coming week. So it is crunch time for me basically.
I'd like to explore a few fun and work apps for the Eris (likely be my choice). I've never really messed with too many BB apps, as I just don't need too much.
In a perfect world...I could have a basic phone with email sent to the message inbox...pay per useage for net when and if needed, but that isn't an option so I use a smartphone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want the 'simple' phone without all the bells and whistles stay with BB...

It's not gonna advance on ya... you know BB will remain it's stale self and there won't be any changes you'll have to adapt to.

The Android devices will have a learning curve but the pay off is huge. A device that can do everything... no crippled GPS, an OS that can handle it's memory, NO BATT PULLS, incredible easy apps installation (no setting permissions like on BB), and much more.

bigthinker

Reaction score
Jack,

I too am a Blackberry Fan! I have had the Tour since it came out and before it the 8830 World Edition for 3 years before. I have to say that I resisted the change to the Droid. After a weekend of test driving the Droid 2.0 I am now getting rid of my 3 month old Tour AND the $300 in accessories. The ease of use of the emails and the texting on the BB are very strong and probably if this is all you want, stay with BB, but everything else is HANDS down far more robust on Droid. It is a little bulkier and more square.......But, if you are anything like me, You will love it.

PS. If you do choose to stay with the BB and want the Tour and its accessories, let me know....If I still have them, I will cut you a sweet deal!

OP
J

JackButler

Reaction score
Ha, thanks...this is helping!
Truly, will not go with the Moto, big thing is the Eris is smaller for my backpocket, golfbag, etc:>)
Advances don't scare me and the learning curve gives me something to mess with...I just want it to do what I need it to. I keep reading on here about Yahoo email being forwared and issues with that...reading some more.
Thanks

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Yahoo mail issue is supposed to be addressed in the Dec. 11th patch for the DROID. Although Eris is not running 2.0 yet so I don't know if it has similar issues with Yahoo Mail.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was going to come in here and tell you that I had a Curve, then a Storm, and then the Droid and it blows them out of the water in every way I can think of, but I do LOTS with my phone. Apps, Games, Home Replacements, a couple email addresses, LOTS of texting, browsing, etc. So since you don't do all of that nearly as much, I'm not sure you'll 100% see the advantage of the Droid/Eris. But if you are getting a new phone either way, I'd definitely try it out because I LOVE Android. If they didn't have the Droid, I'd have the Eris.

So yeah, give it a try. There's always the 30 day return policy!

FoFa

Reaction score
Just one little tidbit of information, most organizations do not support anything on their network except the BB due to security issues.

I'm in I.T. and we only support the BB, yet almost everyone in I.T. has an iPhone (except me).

So if you want automagic mail forwarding and responding like the BB, you pretty much have to have a BB.

OP
J

JackButler

Reaction score
Thanks for the tidbit fofa, though I do have such an account, I never use it on my phone...I need the seperation from work!:>)

almostfriday

Reaction score
I had a Storm and then a Storm2. Sucked compaired to the Droid. Does a million things more than my Storm 2.

keiichi25

Reaction score
My stances as a BB User (8400g and Storm).

I still use the Storm for work because it is work provided. It is a Work phone.

I have the Motorola Droid to replace my personal phone and have it linked to our company Exchange Server as a test for potential Verizon users who are looking to get it as well.

I know you were looking at the HTC Droid Eris, so going with that isn't any much more dramatically different than the Motorola Droid, just not the same Android Version so you lose out on the Navigation part (Which I think was for 2.0, not 1.5 or 1.6 Android OS), but the basic functionality should still be there.

If you wanted to stick with the BB, just note that the BB is good for Exchange Syncing, more so on a lot of levels and has a bit of a more efficient battery life, but I feel the BB's Multimedia, Camera and internet browsing ability to be lacking. In fact, on the Storm, my biggest complaint is trying to take decent pictures with it. The Internet browsing, on the same Network as the Droid, is tediously slow, even with the updated Blackberry OS. The only improvement with the 5.0 BB OS was the auto-correction was nearly as annoying as it was in the past and it fixed one of my earlier complaints with regards to the Auto On/Off ability not turning the radio back on when it came back on.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
most organizations do not support anything on their network except the BB due to security issues.

But wouldn't this be a work phone? I don't know anyone that has to buy their own work phone.....

Best thing IMO is get your hands on a Droid and see if you like it. If not stay Simple...Stay BB....