Convince me to stick with it!

Discussion in 'Motorola Xoom' started by brock.overcash, Mar 14, 2011.

1. brock.overcash

brock.overcash New Member

I'm on my second Xoom now, the first I returned after having wifi issues (it also locked into bootloader at Best Buy), and to be honest, the second one isn't much better, where some problems were solved, others were found, and I really need some convincing to keep this thing and to not dump it in favor of either a better android tablet or *shudder* the ipad 2.

Please sound off in support or if you have had similar troubles.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App
  2. CD95YJ

CD95YJ New Member

Nah don't keep it, you should package it up and send it to me :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  3. brock.overcash

I think I have a little too much invested in it for that haha

4. CD95YJ

CD95YJ New Member

Hey it was worth a shot...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  5. brock.overcash

No harm in asking!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  6. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

Maybe if you better explained your current issues it would be better to assist you?
  7. brock.overcash

Of course! I have had some wifi issues with both of them, issues connecting and maintaining a connection. These issues don't occur on any of my families laptops or my dads iPad so I'm fairly sure its not my wifi but I have not gotten a chance to test it out somewhere else. Also, I have had general software issues, difficulty transitioning between apps through hyperlinks, and issues with the market taking me straight to an open app when I go to my apps.

I know that new products will have issues, but frankly this is kind of ridiculous, not only are there these issues, but things like the microsd card slot not working and having to send it off for the 4g upgrade just frustrate me and make me not like the Xoom right now.

8. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

Well I think you already know my first suggestion, test the WiFi at another location (preferably one where you or a friend might have some control over the network) and see if you have the WiFi issue. If you do then I would suggest a stock reset and try again.

As for the apps/hyperlinks I'm not totally clear of what the issue is.

The market is setup on the Xoom that if you open the market it usually takes you back to the last page it had open which could be the issue (Usually after you hit the home button rather that the back button). Not sure if this is what you mean or it take you into a totally different app all together.

As for the SD card, ya I think Moto dropped the ball on that one, but hey its still an SD card slot you would never get on an iPad.

The upgrade thing? Well it is a hassle but again its a free upgrade to 4G, which is again nothing you would ever get from Apple....
  9. brock.overcash

I forgot to mention that I had tested it at Best Buy when I went in to return it, the same wifi issues occured in store for the reps. When the guy took it into the back to look at it better or something, he came back out with at that point a very expensive paperweight. He had somehow locked up to the bootloader. I am not sure what he did, but I don't want it to happen to me at some point down the road.

I was using google reader yesterday, which I know is not optimized, but I do not think that that is the reason that when I clicked on a link, it would occasionally send me to a flickering home screen. The screen would artifact and flicker, but when I pressed the home button everything would return to normal. This is more of an annoyance than a serious problem.

The market: after I install an app, occasionally, when I went back to "my apps", it would launch me into the app that I had downloaded, even if I had downloaded it a few hours ago.

10. xier

xier New Member

Sounds like you are not ready for the xoom and it is not ready for you. Tons of wifi issues - or should I say folks reporting wifi issues with the original Ipad - even a fewfor the Ipad 2.

I have two xoom's - two ipad 2's - several ipad 1's --- No problems with WIFI although the Ipad's have significantly less range than any of my other devices.

Pick up a Ipad2 -- its a great device targeted to a different audience - Possibly YOU.
  11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Well, just because you read about people having issues doesn't mean it's not ready or primetime. Most posts are always going to be a complaint no matter how good the product is.
  12. brock.overcash

Xier, it isn't that the device is not for me. Trust me, I love the dev and rom potential and just left the iPad for this. I like honeycomb. It is just very buggy. This post was mostly made to find out whether anyone else was having the same problems. I wanted to figure out if I was just really unlucky haha. I appreciate ur offer, trust me I have considered going back to the iPad. It kind of just feels like defeat to go back.

13. motoconvert

motoconvert New Member

I have never had any wifi problems with my Xoom and I use it on two different wireless networks. (Home & Work) And I'm not saying this because I don't believe you...maybe there is something that is preventing your Xoom from getting good wifi reception. Again, I don't know, just throwing it out there. I had horrible wifi reception at home with my Galaxy tab, I took it back to VZW and he connected it right away (of course then I talked him in to returning it and selling me the Xoom, but still). I don't know how much I would trust the BB employee taking it in a back room and all. Coulda pulled the ole switcharoo on ya...Maybe call Moto and see what they say about it. Call VZW customer service and explain the situation to them and see if there is anything they can do for you. I find it hard to beleive that it would be the same problem with two different Xoom's. Has to be something else there...

Just my 2 cents...
  14. brock.overcash

My wifi definatley has issues. I won't even try to deny that, but I havemnt had this bad of a problem on any device(droid, old I pad, or laptop) the wifi is part of it but it isn't all of it. It also did disconect on the BB guy at the store too though. As for the switcharoo haha, I saw him with mine in the bootloader and a the new box was opened in frompnt of me with the plastic still on the device and everything. I still need to get around to testing this on another network, and it might be that my network is my problem. Thank you for your two cents motoconvert

also, I figured out what the BB guy did. All he did was power back on with volume up pressed. Kinda freaked me out when I did it yesterday halfway on purpose.

15. Ohyea!

Ohyea! Member

I guess it's possible that both Xoom's are from the same bad batch. It does happen from time to time. Try to return it to another Best Buy. Hopefully, the ones they have in stock aren't defective.
  16. Donnie666

Donnie666 New Member

It sounds like you need an "easy" experience. I would flush your Xoom down the toilet and get an Ipad2. It is more suited for non techie people.

Motorola Xoom
    Droid Forums app

Donnie
  17. brock.overcash

I thought that I had made it clear above but apparently not. I do not want to go back to Apple products. I do not particulary want an easy experience.

I do, however, want something that works. Right now, with the two Xooms that I have owned, it has not done it to my satisfaction.

Also, I frankly am insulted that you think I am a non-techie person. I have a Droid, and from my signature, I am sure you can pick up that I know what to do with it. I have even gone as far as to edit build.prop files to show my name in the settings. I am not incompetent. I work in an IT department, I have taken apart and built multiple computers, I have set up numerous Linux servers including my own personal one.

I would appreciate people refraining from now on suggesting that I am incompetent. My plan as of now is to return my Xoom, get my money back and wait for the wifi-only version. I hope that it has an enhanced antenna structure or something since it doesn't have a 3G or space for a 4G module and I didn't need the VZW data anyway. This will also give Motorola a little more time to work on the Xoom software optimisation and independent developers to create their own roms.

18. spillner

spillner New Member

I have to disagree with you on this. You're insinuating that Android is only meant for the "techie" group. I am very tired of the stereotype that Android devices are for nerds and geeks. I am not very computer savy and after purchasing the Droid last year it only took me a few days to really get the OS down. Some of the more technical issues were easily solved via looking it up or asking this forum. I have played around with my brothers iPhone and can say it would take me the same amount of time to figure that out as well.

The main problem I see is that a lot of people have some experience with iOS (playing with a friends or having one prior). iOS has been around for years, so people find it hard to navigate Android when they're used to a completely different OS.
  19. Donnie666

Donnie666 New Member

Calm down fella. You invite this sort of response when you start a thread called "convince me to stick with it". Why? Whats in it for me?

Too many people have purchased the xoom for this to be a flaw in design or widespread issue. I am answering this on wifi from my mifi in the woods so its either that you have had bad luck with 2 or there is an issue outside of the Xoom in your environment.

I post in pure sacasm no meanness intended. Buck up lil camper.

Motorola Xoom
    Droid Forums app

Donnie
  20. Donnie666

Donnie666 New Member

So ummm is techie or geek an insult? I consider myself both and prolly a nerd as well. I would say you need some patience and willingness to learn to go from iAnything to a droid platform. I do think the apple products are easier to use and less open for customization. Not to say they are bad or lesser just different.

Remember just my .02

Motorola Xoom
    Droid Forums app

Donnie
Search tags for this page

s3 xier