Converted Video with Catalyst..not working question..

duff

Reaction score
I converted a DVD with Catalyst 3, using the Droid preset, when I try to play it says Video Cannot be Played.

Is there anything else I need to do or install to get this to work?

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi Duff,
While some people here might be able to assist, this is not a specific DVD Catalyst forum. While I do keep an eye on some topics here, you will get faster answers by emailing me directly using the link in DVD Catalyst.

Anyway, in regards of your issue, does the file play on your computer? (it should play with Quicktime or VLC) If not, something most likely caused the conversion to crash. This can be a scratch on the DVD, dust.
Try a different DVD, or maybe a small clip of the DVD you have issues with to see if that works.

Last edited by a moderator:

missin44

Reaction score
How long are you guys finding it takes to convert a typical DVD?

BiGJaYDROID

Reaction score
it is taking nearly as long as the run time on the movie just shorter but it leaves all the guess work out with the dvd catalyst software.

DAW

Reaction score
Is there a Droid preset on the free trial version?

BiGJaYDROID

Reaction score
The trial version of DVD catalyst 3 will only let u encode the first 20%of the movie u r trying to encode.

D

dvdcatalyst

How long are you guys finding it takes to convert a typical DVD?
The speed depends greatly on the computer you use. DVD Catalyst is multi-core capable, and can use as many cores as your computer might have.
If you use a computer with a celeron or a turion processor, it might take 2 hours for a 2 hour movie (or with the HQ proifile even longer) but if you use a Dual Core system, it cuts it in more than half. If you use a Quad Core, it usually doesn't take longer than 30 minutes for a 2 hour movie. One user of DVD Catalyst, using the HTC Touch HD2 HQ (which is nearly the same as the Droid HQ profile) uses a dual Quad Core Xeon system (8 Cores !), and gets about 15 minutes for 2 hours of video.
Besides processor speed, the DVD drive speed, harddrive speed and if you are doing anything else with your computer at the same time all play a part as well.

The profiles for the Droid in DVD Catalyst use H264 as the video format, which provides the best quality. The Droid can also play "Generic MPEG4", which DVD Catalyst can also do, but produces lower quality, but considerably faster conversions.

To use this instead, click on "Modify" in DVD Catalyst, and change the conversion format from h264_ipod to mpeg4_ipod. I do suggest to use at least 1500kbps for the quality with that format, but expect quality to be less.

In short, quality is directly connected to speed.

BiGJaYDROID

Reaction score
I have a considerably fast Toshiba laptop running Intel treatment 2 duo and Intel chipset with centrino the drives are also top notch but it still takes about the run time of e movie to convert.

D

dvdcatalyst

the HQ profile is quite a bit more demanding than the default one.
Did you install the (free) boosterpack? Check the tools4movies website for details and the download link.