Convert FLV to boot animation?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by djakrse, Nov 11, 2010.

1. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Does anyone know how to convert an FLV vid to PNG frames or a good player that can export/snapshot the frames into bmp or png? VLC media player can take snapshots, but I don't see an easy way to make sure I get all of the frames.

I guess preferably I'd like to go first to bmp or lossless png to be converted more efficiently in an image editor like Irfanview.

I exported the video from the new Avengers movie teaser .swf file and was hoping to convert it to a boot animation. If it's any incentive, I'll share when I'm done. :)

Option 2 is someone more experienced or capable can do the conversion for me, i.e. if you have your own pay-only software.
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Could be done if you use a video editing program to rip the FLV into frame oututs then code them up for a boot... I never use boot animations tho so I dont know much about that part...
  3. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    See, I never convert video so I don't know much about that part. Most video converters I've looked at only mention converting flv to another video format. As well, I've seen ways to convert png images to flv but not the other way around.

My wife knows Flash so I'll see if it can strip an flv, fla, or swf into individual images.
  4. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Okay, I was able to use SUPER to output to:
    Sequence Of Images > PNG > DirectShow Decode
    NoChange under Video Scale Size and I selected 30 under Frame/Sec since that was the source FPS (I'm sure it doesn't matter). Everything else was default settings.

Next to find that program everyone uses to optimize PNGs and whatever other requirements for boot animation....
  5. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Sharing... :)

Animation not mine, but shamelessly taken from Marvel's Avengers movie site (as any true fan should for their own enjoyment) and assimilated for use on my droid. I hope the powers that be approve.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...movie-boot-logo-boot-animation-wallpaper.html

Once I had it output to frames, I was able to assemble *ahem* it into a boot animation using several tutorials available and looking at other released animations.

One thing I did not see mentioned though was that one could use jpg files instead of png. Obviously jpg's tend to be more optimized and therefore considerably smaller overall (this animation is only 557KB.) I opted for jpg after noticing the droid 2 R2D2 boot animation used jpgs. :)

I also attempted 30 frames per second (and twice the frames), but this would freeze occasionally and took considerably longer to boot. I've seen other animations using png files at 30 fps with no problem. There may be something to whether the droid has to decode the image that causes this issue. Does anyone know for sure?

Anyhow, this is my first attempt at a boot animation. Any tips or other feedback about this process welcomed.
Search tags for this page

boot animation converter

bootanimation.mov

convert flv to png
convert video into bootanimation
convert video to boot animation android

convert video to jpg android animation

flv to png

how to turn a video into a boot animation
how to turn bootanimation i to video
turn video into boot up