Conundrum of grandfathered plan/changes/data

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I have been a customer of what is Verizon, now, but started out as Century Cellunet, then CenturyTel, etc. This goes back to 1984. Apparently, Verizon phone reps can tell this when I'm talking with them.

The plan I've had for years was called Freedom 500. Got 500 minutes talk time, 250 texts, and since I pay full retail phone price, I get unlimited data. I have a Droid MAXX. Cost is about $90/month. I use around 10 GB data/month. This data is most important single item to me.

I have one phone. Single line. Don't need any other lines.

The problem I have encountered is running close or out of texts/ month.

I saw a plan with unlimited texts and phone time. Since I an paying full retail, I thought I might switch to this and be fine. Apparently not.

When I called Verizon, they offered me 100 more texts/month and no price increase. But, this keeps my old plan of 500 minutes of talk, no big deal on the minutes.

My questions are:
1-anyone have this same problem?
2-if they offer 100 more texts, does that mean they will actually be willing to give 200, 300, but only are offering what they think is the least to satisfy me, but will actually give many more?
3-what would be reasonable for me to ask for and for them to give to a 30 year loyal customer?
4-who is best to deal with...phone rep or store rep, or who?
Sorry for so many questions. I don't want to make a mistake and end up in a situation that really is worse that stay where I'm at.

Thanks for any help.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Never be afraid to ask for more. Never be afraid to ask to speak to customer loyalty. Never be afraid to tout your long-standing tenure (I'm 21 years with Verizon, and was a Bell Atlantic Mobile agent when I signed up... All three of my phone numbers end in 000, 100, & 200).

Always deal with the phone based customer service at 800-922.0204. I would push for more texting but you may also want to explore using text free ( Text Free Calling Texting App - Android Apps on Google Play ) for at least some of your texting needs. They give you a private local phone number for free, the texting is unlimited, and by using it you can offset your other text plan and keep from going over.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Text plans are dying. As Fox mentioned, jump on a texting app that uses data. You have unlimited. Also, I believe Magic Jack will give you free outgoing calls with their app. $15 more a year gives you unlimited incoming as well and it is VOIP.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Ask away, every time I upgraded I asked for more, wound up with unlimited everything. Took quite a few years.

We must...We must...increase our boost

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Text plans are dying. As Fox mentioned, jump on a texting app that uses data. You have unlimited. Also, I believe Magic Jack will give you free outgoing calls with their app. $15 more a year gives you unlimited incoming as well and it is VOIP.
This is sort of true. I know tons of people that rely on text messages. I constantly talk with cross platform people, so I cannot use iMessage or Hangouts (I could but it isn't worth the trouble). My notification server uses MMS to send multiple text messages to different techs via email. I am one of a few Android users where I work. Until there is one commonly supported chat system that is as ubiquitous as SMS and MMS, carriers will still offer it.

That being said, on some services that is a la carte.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Google voice does texting for free as well, for now.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Google voice does texting for free as well, for now.

I am just waiting on unlimited texts and MMS. I don't recall if Google Voice supports MMS yet, but last time I used it, it did not.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Awesome!! I can now use Hangouts as my All-in-one app!!

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Thanks for the replies. A lot to look at, and think about.

I am going to call Verizon, again and ask for a supervisor, for sure. And, try to figure out the "texting apps that use data" as mentioned by Ollie.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Thanks for the replies. A lot to look at, and think about.

I am going to call Verizon, again and ask for a supervisor, for sure. And, try to figure out the "texting apps that use data" as mentioned by Ollie.
WhatsApp, TextPlus, Hangouts among others.

Hangsouts ties right to a Google account.