Content didn't transfer over to new phone. Need some assistance, please.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Helping my husband move from a Droid MAXX into a Moto Z-Force. We activated the phone at Verizon and got home and the only things that transferred over were from what he had on the Verizon Cloud from his Bionic days and his contacts. He had his MAXX backed up via Google. I just set mine up on Friday and everything from my phone moved over to the new one flawlessly including text messages.
Is there a setting or something that's been overlooked in the initial activation? I wasn't watching the guy, so don't know what all he did or didn't do. Is there a way to activate it now, or would he have to do a fdr and start fresh -- which he'll refuse to do at this point..
Also, he uses Dropbox and tried to move his pictures over that way, but states he has no idea where they went. UGH, I wish I could have had full control over this activation/move-in. Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It sounds like they did not enter his Google / G Mail account during activation. Did they ask for that? I have noticed recently that many Verizon reps just skip that part and get the phone activated on their network and then hand it back to the customer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
It sounds like they did not enter his Google / G Mail account during activation. Did they ask for that? I have noticed recently that many Verizon reps just skip that part and get the phone activated on their network and then hand it back to the customer.

No, he logged in while we were there. Now he says the phone was actually backed up to Verizon They did unlock his cloud (or whatever it is they do), but I think that's where the Bionic stuff came from. I dunno. It's a mess, he's ticked, and I can't help him because he's so frustrated. He's the only one who ever has problems moving into a new phone. I think there's a common denominator there....

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
No, he logged in while we were there. Now he says the phone was actually backed up to Verizon They did unlock his cloud (or whatever it is they do), but I think that's where the Bionic stuff came from. I dunno. It's a mess, he's ticked, and I can't help him because he's so frustrated. He's the only one who ever has problems moving into a new phone. I think there's a common denominator there....
Okay, his biggest gripe at the moment is the loss of his text messages. Verizon had said those could be transferred over, but they aren't there (he uses the standard message app that came with the MAXX.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have never been able to transfer texts at a Verizon store. In the old days they had s machine they plugged both phones into and they would transfer. I don't think they do that anymore. They might back up to the Verizon Cloud though? I'm not sure. What I do is used the app called SMS Backup & Restore. If his Maxx was not FDR, you could still connect it to WiFi, put that app on, backup his texts, save it to his Google Drive account, and then put the app on his new phone and import thr texts from the file on his Google Drive account. It works pretty well, I have used it many times to move my wife and daughters texts to new phones.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I have never been able to transfer texts at a Verizon store. In the old days they had s machine they plugged both phones into and they would transfer. I don't think they do that anymore. They might back up to the Verizon Cloud though? I'm not sure. What I do is used the app called SMS Backup & Restore. If his Maxx was not FDR, you could still connect it to WiFi, put that app on, backup his texts, save it to his Google Drive account, and then put the app on his new phone and import thr texts from the file on his Google Drive account. It works pretty well, I have used it many times to move my wife and daughters texts to new phones.

Thanks, I'll ask him to do that when he is a little more receptive <eye roll>. He set it down & said he didn't want to deal with it now, nor did he want me messing with it, so I'm moving on with my day & he can stew for awhile lol.
I went back to Handcent a couple of months ago & all my texts automatically moved over to the new phone when I activated it on Friday. They just went straight into the Message+ app.
The oldest spawn activated my T2 (he acquired) last night & was moved into it from his MAXX in a very short period of time. Not sure what the husband does, or the Verizon guy did, but the last time I looked at it, it was a mess of old stuff from his Bionic only.
I'll have him download that app & give it a try -- later
Thanks, saj

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
SMS backup is the only way I do it.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Thanks, Guys! SMS Backup worked like a charm and the husband is back to being happy! Y'all rock!
I still don't understand what went wrong, but of course, it had to be his phone that didn't transfer over properly.... Hopefully we won't have to deal with this kind of issue again for a couple/few years.