Contacts. Take it from the top

juicerock10

Reaction score
Not the end of the world but an inconvenience nonetheless. Going through my contacts which are sorted by letter is a pain especially if you accidentally touch the wrong contact (ex. Instead of "Dean" you accidentally hit "Debra") because when you back out of this mistake, the contact list is no longer showing the "D's" it is showing the "A's" which of course is the top of the contact list.

This is annoying as I was very used to my Blackberry which made finding contacts a breeze (dont get me wrong I am happier with my D2 than I was with my BB)

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and remedied it somehow....Thanks

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not the end of the world but an inconvenience nonetheless. Going through my contacts which are sorted by letter is a pain especially if you accidentally touch the wrong contact (ex. Instead of "Dean" you accidentally hit "Debra") because when you back out of this mistake, the contact list is no longer showing the "D's" it is showing the "A's" which of course is the top of the contact list.

This is annoying as I was very used to my Blackberry which made finding contacts a breeze (dont get me wrong I am happier with my D2 than I was with my BB)

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and remedied it somehow....Thanks

I rarely use my contact list. I long press on the search button on the ffront of the phone and say call target. Boom, it dials targe. Hungry for Chinese? Call Chinese..

The other way to do it is instead of rolling through the contact list just go to contacts, search, and type in the name. After a few letters your contact will pop up.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
My D2 doesn't do dat

When I hit the contact icon, it starts at the top of the list. Then as I slide my finger up the screen, a little menu icon appears and allows me to scroll fast thru the alphabet. If I stop on a name and select it (a Joan, for instance), then realize it's the wrong name and hit the return arrow, I am right back on the contact list where I left off (at Joan, and I can continue down to John). BTW, these are my gmail contacts.
Perhaps you are hitting the return arrow twice and going to the home screen? In that case, you will start over at the top.

OP
J

juicerock10

Reaction score
Oh thats interesting. Im not sure but im guessing im not viewing my contacts as Google contacts. Im using the default Contacts button. So this makes me wonder is there a separate Google contacts app? I know that Google has a hand in my contacts as they seem to with everything these days but its annoying whether i use the scroll motion or keyboard to find my contacts.

nyrieland

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my D2 and although the voice dial is a terrific option, sometimes you just need to look up a number or the spelling of someone's last name.
Not only is the contact look up a bit of a pain but I'm trying to find a way to organize all the contacts! Everything got imported when I synced my phone and now I have duplicates and random email addresses and the menu options don't include a select tool nor do I have the option to create folders (I would have to create folders in my Yahoo account then re-import everything, then do the same with my gmail and hotmail contacts).
Any suggestions?

OP
J

juicerock10

Reaction score
Now that your mention it, my contacts are riddled with duplicates too. D2 is great except for the phonr aspect imo

newk8600

Reaction score
There is (or should) be an option for editing the display of contacts and other settings to keep the phone book (contacts) clean. I'm on liberty 1.5 so not sure if it's different for stock or what have you.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

I rarely use my contact list. I long press on the search button on the ffront of the phone and say call target. Boom, it dials targe. Hungry for Chinese? Call Chinese..

The other way to do it is instead of rolling through the contact list just go to contacts, search, and type in the name. After a few letters your contact will pop up.

I'm not much of a talk to my phone type of guy even though the voice search works amazingly well. I use Gesture Search. It's made by Google and it allows searching for contacts, apps, music, bookmarks and phone settings by drawing characters on the screen. You can trigger the search app to open with motion by turning the screen upside-down and turning it right-side up again.

GolfOx

Reaction score
To eliminate duplicates, touch a contact that is a duplicate, touch menu, then link contacts, then find the duplicate and touch it. The info on the two contacts is combined.

toyracer71

Reaction score
@GolfOX-

I am running DajaOffice on my DroidX and PC and trying to work with Outlook as my main contact list. However I have notice that my phone is linking outlook contacts, facebook and I am guessing something else all together giving me multiple contact listing for the same person and not always the most current. I have about 180 contacts in my Outlook and my phone is saying I have almost 400. When I look at the contact list I am getting multiples of people and they are not all on FaceBook (or other social media). I am running Outlook as my home email and I am not interested in changing (due to a on going job search).

Q1 Is this a case where the phone is trying to put Google, Outlook, FaceBook, (and who knows what else) all together on the same list and not recognizing that they are the same person?

Q2 Is there a way to edit this list via the computer, working that much on that little screen is going to drive me nuts?

Q3 How would I set it up so that I don't have this problem in the future? I am also wanting to be sure that when I enter contacts on the phone they will show up in Outlook.

Thanks in advance for the help
Mike

GolfOx

Reaction score
I have not found a way to get the various contact groups to merge on their own. I have looked through the forums a lot. You obviously are working and using youe phone a lot more than I. Good luck.