contacts synching question....

airtas

Reaction score
anytime i use gmail on my droid it saves the recent person I emailed as a contact, is there a way to disable this?

also hypothetically If my phone was defected and swapped it at VZW would a factory reset erase all my contacts on the web as well?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
There is an option to only show contacts with phone numbers....Have not seen anything to disable what your asking...

No, Once the phone is reset there is nothing to tell google to do anything...

OP
A

airtas

Reaction score
can i just turn autosync off? is there a way to sign out of gmail?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
can i just turn autosync off? is there a way to sign out of gmail?

You can turn off autosync....The Phone is designed to work with integrated email...

OP
A

airtas

Reaction score
if i turn off email autosync will that mean i will not get notifications as well?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
if i turn off email autosync will that mean i will not get notifications as well?

Yup.....And with out the sync, you have to do your own backup, which if your phone is lost or stolen would most likely be on your sdcard in the phone thats missing. Unless you copied it to a PC....

It's easier with the sync...

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
auto add email contacts

You have to turn the auto add of contacts off on your gmail account through the web interface account settings.
I remember when I first started using gmail and it was automatically adding people that emailed me. I turned it off and since I got my droid and synced the email it has not added any contacts automatically.

I think that is what you were asking.

Last edited:

vonoventwin

Reaction score
Listen I know exactly what you are going through. Log into Gmail and put only the contacts you really care about into "My Contacts". Currently you have the Droid Eris and instead of pulling the contacts you want, the Eris is pulling everyone (all your contacts) (not cool huh). Now go back on your phone and do the following:

Open the People app
Go to the Groups section
Now press the Menu button and select Sync Contacts from the menu
Uncheck “Sync all contacts” and press the save button.

Now you will only sync what you have in "My Contacts" in Gmails contacts, rather than syncing ALL your contacts from Gmail. Big difference! I have the Moto Droid and really didn't see this frustrating problem until I picked up the wife's Eris, but I figured it out.

Hope this helps!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Wow...Learned something new today....Never knew that.

Thanks for the tips guys...

OP
A

airtas

Reaction score

Yup.....And with out the sync, you have to do your own backup, which if your phone is lost or stolen would most likely be on your sdcard in the phone thats missing. Unless you copied it to a PC....

It's easier with the sync...
why would emails be on my sd card?

dbronstein

Reaction score
You have to turn the auto add of contacts off on your gmail account through the web interface account settings.
I remember when I first started using gmail and it was automatically adding people that emailed me. I turned it off and since I got my droid and synced the email it has not added any contacts automatically.

I think that is what you were asking.

How do you do this? Everything I've found says it's not possible.

OP
A

airtas

Reaction score
i edited a phone # and it keeps reverting back to the old number, why?