Contacts stored at Google?

Reaction score
I'm at work and very busy right now. I had a colleague call my cell and I quickly tried to store his number on my phone, however I appears that his contact information is also on Google. This is a privacy issue for me as I DO NOT WANT MY INFORMATION ON GOOGLE!

My question is this: How do I store contact information ONLY on the phone?

Thanks

JustDriftin

Reaction score
Go into settings, Accounts & sync, Click on your account below Manage accounts, and un-check Sync Contacts.

OP
F
Reaction score
Go into settings, Accounts & sync, Click on your account below Manage accounts, and un-check Sync Contacts.

Okay, good. Now for the next question.

When I bought the phone they did some type of electronic transfer that put EVERY contact I've accumulated for 10 years onto Google WITHOUT my knowledge. I JUST discovered that my information was compromised TODAY, by accident.

So, the second question is this: How do I undo the mess? (remove ALL information currently on Google).

Thanks

bllarkin

Reaction score

Okay, good. Now for the next question.

When I bought the phone they did some type of electronic transfer that put EVERY contact I've accumulated for 10 years onto Google WITHOUT my knowledge. I JUST discovered that my information was compromised TODAY, by accident.

So, the second question is this: How do I undo the mess? (remove ALL information currently on Google).

Thanks

Turn of the sync, as above. Then go to contacts.google.com and you can delete everything there (you will need to login with your Google account).

jimnutt

Reaction score
I don't quite understand why people who don't want to use google buy a "Google Experience" phone. In any case, you can get rid of everything on google by following the information here

Sleeve

Reaction score
Uhm. Your information is not "compromised." That information is in your online account protected by your own password and a GMail privacy policy. If you want to throw the whole corporate conspiracy thing out there, well, yeah, this cloud computing thing is going to blow right over your house.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Uhm. Your information is not "compromised." That information is in your online account protected by your own password and a GMail privacy policy. If you want to throw the whole corporate conspiracy thing out there, well, yeah, this cloud computing thing is going to blow right over your house.

Quoted For Truth

OP
F
Reaction score
I don't quite understand why people who don't want to use google buy a "Google Experience" phone. In any case, you can get rid of everything on google by following the information here

Seems unreasonable to equate "Google Experience" into meaning my personal address book suddenly gets transferred to Google. It's just a cell phone.

Reaction score

Seems unreasonable to equate "Google Experience" into meaning my personal address book suddenly gets transferred to Google. It's just a cell phone.

Do you use email? If so, your information and other's contact info is stored on the email hosts site. How is this different in any way?

Reaction score
I kind of know what he means. you should be able to sync with the computer and not the gmail account for contacts. it should give you a choice from the getgo its sort of like the entire buzz fiasco. imho.

tongue in cheek but i have turned my will and life over to google already so i am cool with syncing but for others who havent submitted yet i understand... lol

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
I kind of know what he means. you should be able to sync with the computer and not the gmail account for contacts. it should give you a choice from the getgo its sort of like the entire buzz fiasco. imho.

Yes, that's my point. It would have been nice to have known at the time I bought my phone that ALL my contact info would end up at Google. At least I have the option to change this, but the default setting was just plan rude.

Anyway, I think this thread has gone beyond usefulness since I know how to prevent Google from getting my contact info.

Many thanks for your help.

crspang

Reaction score
To the OP you may want to consider some sort of security app for your phone like wave secure. Because there is probably more of a chance that your phone will get lost or stolen rather than your gmail account being hacked.

OP
F
Reaction score
For those that didn't get it.

It was just plain annoying that my information went to Google automatically and before I knew anything about it. The guys at the Verizon store transferred all contact info from my old phone to my new phone, the Droid, and this automatically went to Google.

I should have been asked if that was okay with me and I should have been informed especially since all phones that I've owned during the past 13 years never did this.

This simply falls into the category of, "maybe I don't want Google to have my information." Nothing more and nothing less.

It's kind of lame.

lschicky

Reaction score

If you are looking for just a phone, why did you get a smart-phone?

My mother is quite fond of saying it's a computer that can make phone calls, which is a better description for most smart-phones.