Contacts Questions

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I know this should probably go somewhere else, so moving it out fine. But, everyone here seems to have the answers.

On my phone, when I sync, are my contacts being synced with Gmail (I think) or with Verizon?

On my PC, under gmail, there is a "new" and an "old"'way to view contacts, the new is called preview, IIRC, and only the old is what you use to backup your contacts. The preview showsmy photos of the contacts.

The .VCF files ...do they contain the contact's photos or just the names, phone numbers and info?

I was using an app Super Contacts,IIRC, that had two options....ALL and Contacts and Phone numbers. One saved 29'contacts, the other choice backed up 32. I have almost 800'contacts.

So..is there an app that will restore my contacts info, name, number, photo?
Or, does Verizon cloud or Google, or gmail do this?

Having had the OG Droid to the Moto Z Play, I kinda feel stupid not knowing how this should work and be managed.

If it is easier to give me some links to refer to, instead of s lot of time and energy in typing a reply, that is fine.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Dr Mark

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Question 1: Verizon cloud synch synchs to VZ cloud. Google synchs to your Google account.
Sorry if that's not much help
Question 3: vcf files contain all the contact info, including the picture , however; the picture is stored in very low quality. If you re-import the file back into contacts all the contact info will be there.... But the picture will be fuzzy.

Sorry doc.... That's all the info I can come up with from the top of my head

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Thank you bruben7886! Very helpful, indeed. I appreciate the information very much.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
To ad to Bruben's answer to Question 1, you can figure out where they're saved fairly easily. On some phones, there's an option in the contacts app for which contacts to display. If you're using the stock android contacts/phone app, I don't find that option available anymore, but if you go in to edit a contact, I do see that it shows you where they're saved. If I were you, I'd pick one from that list that successfully backed up and one that wasn't on that list and see if they're stored in different places.

If you've never setup the VZW backup, chances are good that they're all saved to your Google account. Moto and other phone makers used to make it difficult to get contacts to sync to your Google account instead of their own app or whatever cloud sync feature they have.

You could also compare the list that backed up to your Google account's contacts info on your PC. I've always tried to make my device sync to my Google account because it's an account I know I'll keep for a long time if not forever, but I can't guarantee that my next phone will be made by the same OEM and I just don't like Verizon having any more of my info than they already do.

Here's what my contact editing screen looks like.
f630c593410cac98e31bae8e76827e86.jpg