Contacts Photos

Optor

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone out there is experiencing problems with adding photos to their contacts. I upgraded to 2.2 recently and since then the only way to get a photo added is if I take the picture with the Droid x camera. All photos that I saved previously on the phone will not add to the contact. I did add some photos before the update and they added to contacts with no problem.

sugarloafwigman

Reaction score
I am having exactly the same problem. This is not a facebook issue as I am not on facebook (life is complicated enough). I've read these forums, ive gone through the drill. I get to "use existing photo". I select the photo but I am not given the opportunity to crop the photo. It simply goes back to the edit contact screen without changing the photo. The only way I can attach a picture to a contact is to take a picture at the time of the editing. I tried "set as" from the gallery but "can't open file" comes up even though the thumb nail was displayed just fine. Perhaps these glitches are related.

This is very frustrating. I am unlinked. This is not a facebook issue. I am convinced this is a glitch. Please fix this glitch. Even better, prove me wrong and tell me how to overcome this problem. I've spent 8 hour trying to fix it. I wish verizon would have had the iphone. Apple knows how to write software with a lot less problems. I digress

OP
O

Optor

Reaction score
I was finally able to get photos on contacts but not through the phone. I have a Gmail account and was checking out emails and noticed there's a contacts tab. When I hit the tab it listed all my contacts that I have on my phone. I just went down the list and added the photos I needed to add and sure enough, they showed up on my phone as well. It wasn't difficult to do but I can't understand why the software was working when I first bought it, then didn't work after I updated the software. But at least I have the pics on contacts now and I'm a little happier.

sugarloafwigman

Reaction score
I finally found a way to use existing photos for my contacts. Go to the gallery app and hold on the photo you want to use. A menu will appear. Goto save as, then contacts. It allows you to crop the photo and use it as a contact photo. This works so check it out. There is obviosly a bug that prevents this from happening when you try to edit a contact from the contacts app. Hope this saves someone all the trouble I went through

ekyle

Reaction score
Facebook contact sync worked fine for me before and after the 2.2 update. There is also an app that you can try out called SyncMyPix which should help you out as well.

OP
O

Optor

Reaction score
Thanks

Another question.... on the home page you can have contact icons. I tried to save a contact icon and it shows the correct name... but shows a different contact photo. Any ideas from anyone out there? Talk about bugs in this software... Also I tried to save a another contact icon on my home page and I get no photo, and a photo shows up on the contacts list. WTF!!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another question.... on the home page you can have contact icons. I tried to save a contact icon and it shows the correct name... but shows a different contact photo. Any ideas from anyone out there? Talk about bugs in this software... Also I tried to save a another contact icon on my home page and I get no photo, and a photo shows up on the contacts list. WTF!!!

It's not bugs in the software. It's just that you don't know how to do it. That's not a put down, unfortunately with these phones some simple things have to be done a little differently. I don't get into details like that but I may have a suggestion.

Work your contacts out of gmail instead of doing it on the phone, that's the simplest way to do it. As far as pictures of the contacts on the Screen, I don't think it will put a picture on there, I'm not sure what you mean by an icon.

take a look at your phone for the problem photo and look at the linked profiles. Also check to see if Google has the picture you want in gmail.

OP
O

Optor

Reaction score
Thanks again

Thanks Hookbill, I appreciate your help as well as everyone else. I did actually play around with my Droid and found that if I clicked add in any of the home screens, then Motorola Widgets, then Contact quick tasks, it brought me to exactly what I was looking for. I was able to get my contacts on the home screen with their pic. I guess I need to play around more to find out what this thing can do... my manual doesn't seem to give much info. But thanks again