Contacts from Outlook without synching to email

Guju.anand

Reaction score
Is it possible to get my contact list from my Outlook to Galaxy Nexus without importing them to Gmail contacts and synching to my phone?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

The contacts app can import CSV files exported from Outlook but you would need to make certain your contacts were NOT being synced with the cloud. Otherwise they would go to Google Mail anyway.

OP
G

Guju.anand

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Few more clarifications and specifics:
1. How do I get contacts .csv file to my phone? connect to PC and copy file to phone folder?
2. I see the option to import on phone. Once it is ipotred, if I do not click on "Synch Contacts", I am assuming it will not upload to cloud, correct?
3. When I have updates to my Outlook contents, do I have to repeat the process? Is the phone import smart to do delta between what it has and what I am importing?
4. can the same procedure be used for Outlook calendar, tasks and memo?

Black Barry has nice BB Desktop that synchs outlook and BB contacts, calendar, tasks and memos. Any app similar to that for Galaxy Nexus?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Few more clarifications and specifics:
1. How do I get contacts .csv file to my phone? connect to PC and copy file to phone folder?

That would be one way, or use something like WiFi File Transfer.

2. I see the option to import on phone. Once it is ipotred, if I do not click on "Synch Contacts", I am assuming it will not upload to cloud, correct?

In accounts, the Google Account, you can uncheck sync contacts.

3. When I have updates to my Outlook contents, do I have to repeat the process? Is the phone import smart to do delta between what it has and what I am importing?

There is the rub. It would be far easier to just allow them to sync using something like gSyncit. But you can manually add or delete contacts on the phone.

4. can the same procedure be used for Outlook calendar, tasks and memo?

Not that I am aware of but the gSyncit app can, I think.

OP
G

Guju.anand

Reaction score
I used WIFI File transfer to move the contact .csv to cellphone. Not sure if I need to move to a specific folder? I created a folder called "My folder" and copied the contact .csv file there. However, the import/Export from "people" asks me to selct "From SIM card" or "Storage". The "storgae" selction complains that I do not have no vCard file. I do not see option from Outlook to export to vCard format? Selecting "Sim card gives error indicating No contacts on SIM card.

Not sure what I am doing wrong?

mikecox

Reaction score
Thanks for this post, I am following it with you. I don't understand why syncing Outlook contacts is so complicated; maybe it isn't, if you know what your doing, but I still haven't done it because I just don't know what I'm doing.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Actually it isn't all that difficult. Google had an app for that but Google and MS don't get along all that well. gSyncit will keep it all synced. but isn't free. You could also look up GoContactSync - Outlook4Gmail and OutlookContactsSync.

gSyncit is the best.

OP
G

Guju.anand

Reaction score
Thanks for all responses.
I am sure synching between Outlook and Google gmail is not that complicated. I do not want to synch my outlook with gmail. I do not want my contacts in Gmail. I do not know what google does with the information they have! I am trying to get my Outlook contact on to Galaxy nexus phone Contact list (People). I like the phone; but if Google wants me to do every thing from Gmail (Google Cloud), then that phone is not for me.

mikecox

Reaction score
Actually it isn't all that difficult. Google had an app for that but Google and MS don't get along all that well. gSyncit will keep it all synced. but isn't free. You could also look up GoContactSync - Outlook4Gmail and OutlookContactsSync.

gSyncit is the best.
Ok, thanks. One of the reasons I believed it was so complicated was that there are so many programs out there that promise to do the job and I couldn't decide which one was the best! I'll take your word for it and try gSyncit; I'm not worried about what Google with do with my contacts; my cell phone has most of my contacts on it anyway, so it won't really matter.

Thanks

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I am sure synching between Outlook and Google gmail is not that complicated. I do not want to synch my outlook with gmail. I do not want my contacts in Gmail. I do not know what google does with the information they have! I am trying to get my Outlook contact on to Galaxy nexus phone Contact list (People). I like the phone; but if Google wants me to do every thing from Gmail (Google Cloud), then that phone is not for me.

Are you on a exchange server or just using outlook at home with a pop or imap server?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score

I think you may be over analyzing the potential for a problem. One of the things I do, regularly, is assist CPA forms with audits at medium size corporations, usually/mostly public corps. The part I pay is on the tech side of the audit mostly involving security issues. You might be amazed at the number of those companies using the cloud, Google in particular, for their mail and contacts. Their security is no different than yours when it comes to Google and the contacts/mail.