Contacts Backup?

PrisonBound

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if there is anything you can recommend to FULLY backup my contacts. I used the Verizon backup assistant or whatever, but only like 35 of my 100+ contacts are loading there for some reason. It seems like it's the ones that are not linked to FB are getting backed up, but the FB linked ones aren't, even if I've had to manually enter the phone numbers.

I would appreciate info on this or if I'm just doing something wrong and I could get all of them to backup with the Verizon thing if I just have to change some settings.

Thanks!

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Do you use a gmail account on your phone? Contacts can sync to gmail contacts. Also, in your contact book there should be a way to export it to a file (that can be imported at a later time)

OP
P

PrisonBound

Reaction score
Okay, I see what you're saying about Google. But (for example) my friend Chrissy is not backed up on Google, and I had to pull number from my old Blackberry data file and enter it manually. If my phone crashes, I don't want to have to do that for all those type of contacts again. I wonder why it's doing this?

I don't see how to do what you're talking about as far as creating a file.

deranger

Reaction score
Okay, I see what you're saying about Google. But (for example) my friend Chrissy is not backed up on Google, and I had to pull number from my old Blackberry data file and enter it manually. If my phone crashes, I don't want to have to do that for all those type of contacts again. I wonder why it's doing this?

I don't see how to do what you're talking about as far as creating a file.

Can you sync your blackberry to some application on your computer, output a CSV file, and import to google contacts? That's what I ended up doing with my iPhone to transfer all my contacts to google.

OP
P

PrisonBound

Reaction score
Eesh, I don't know anymore. I don't have the Blackberry, just the old data files & MagicBerry.

deranger

Reaction score
Eesh, I don't know anymore. I don't have the Blackberry, just the old data files & MagicBerry.

I didn't know what MagicBerry was, so I googled it, and found this:

"Split and merge records and extract SMS, contacts, phone calls log, and service books to CSV or text files"

Seems like you can export a CSV file of all your contacts and import into Google Contacts on your PC, then your phone will sync over the air.

OP
P

PrisonBound

Reaction score
I will give it a shot and see what happens.

I think I figured out a little more of what the problem is. For some reason I have 130 "phone contacts" but 155 total contacts. I have 107 backed-up contacts on Google. Is there some way to make all of my contacts "phone contacts"? I'm thinking that may help. I am still curious why not even all of my phone contacts are being backed up though.

OP
P

PrisonBound

Reaction score
So I was able to export it to a csv, but Google will not accept it. Guess it doesn't fall under the category of "some other apps."

deranger

Reaction score
So I was able to export it to a csv, but Google will not accept it. Guess it doesn't fall under the category of "some other apps."

Hmm. Try following the later steps of this guide. I'm wondering if there is some sort of formatting incompatability between MagicBerry and Google, as Windows Contacts and Google played together perfectly for me.

OP
P

PrisonBound

Reaction score
Yeah I tried that and it didn't work. Then I had the idea to save it as a Mac CSV and it said "Sorry, we could not recognize the file format." So I think this is going to be a no-go.

twb136

Reaction score
OK this is what I did. I took my old blackberry with all the contacts and used google sync. You need to download google sync to your old berry, use your gmail (or create a gmail) account to sync with your blackberry. When you sync it with the gmail account, all your contact will now be stored in that magical cloud. Now you have a gmail account, take your droid, register that gmail account on the phone and sync it.

This may require you to go to verizon's website and reactivate your blackberry, do all I just said, then reactivate your droid. But it will work. You are using the gmail account as the intermediary between the two phones.

OP
P

PrisonBound

Reaction score
Ah, but I don't have my blackberry. I dropped it in the donation box when I left the Verizon store. All I have is the backup file from it.

twb136

Reaction score
I know you have said you have tried the CSV file. Have you tried it with Gmail? I have imported contacts to the my gmail using CSV before and it has worked.

OP
P

PrisonBound

Reaction score
Yes, that's the only place I tried it. Is there another place I can try?

twb136

Reaction score
You said your Blackberry data file or something. Is this the desktop manager backup file? its a file extension *.ipd. You could try to import that file to Outlook. With Outlook, you now have vcard contacts as opposed to *.csv, and they can be uploaded to gmail just like the *.csv.

You could also try to find (never have because never needed to) a .ipd to .csv converter program. The underlying theme of all this is that you do have the information, you just need to convert it to a readable format for gmail.