contact phone numbers not appering when texting

GMTECH

Reaction score
Eve sincemy phone did the automatic ICS update when i go to send a text message and when itype the recepiants name in the name types in but wont send when i try to send because there is number inserted it says. BUT if i type in the phone number if i can remember the persons number it will change from the numer the persons name and send just fine then. i am so fed up with this that i wanna smash the phone sometimes. can somebody please help me :cus:

SallyC

Reaction score
When I type in a name, I get a list of suggestions which includes all the phone numbers I have listed for the contact. I can select the mobile number for the text. Not sure if you have Display Suggestions checked by open up the stock text app and go Menu>Message Settings and see.

Hope that helps.

OP
G

GMTECH

Reaction score
I just checked on that and its all properly checked

SallyC

Reaction score
When you start to type in the name, does it display suggestions based on your Contacts? Can you select the listing with the mobile phone number but it just doesn't insert the number?

I'm curious too if this is true for all your contacts or just some?

OP
G

GMTECH

Reaction score
For example purposes i will pretend you are in my contact list. If i go to make a new text message or to forward something if i typd Sally it will show Sally in the recipient box. I type the message and press send and the phone will tell me to insert a valid recipient. But if i
Type in your number it will change from 1800sallyc to sally and send just fine. I have to memorize phone numbers or go through my contact list to send a message.

Also no suggestions come up when i start typing

Last edited:

SallyC

Reaction score
I think the no suggestions coming up is a clue as to the problem. Are you using Gmail for your Contacts and are you syncing to your Gmail acct? It sounds like they are either not syncing or linked to your phone or text app. People have different ways they manage this but here's what I have done. If you use Backup Assistant this won't apply.
  • From People app.Menu>Settings>Contact Storage Select Google. This will ensure that contacts you add on your phone get linked to your Google acct.
  • Then backup and, from Menu, select Accounts. Select Google acct. Make sure Sync Contacts is checked.
  • From the Text app, Menu>Messaging settings Make sure Display suggestions is checked.
See if now when you type in a name it suggests it and gives you a list of cell, home, etc. to pick from.

OP
G

GMTECH

Reaction score
I went through that and ended up going under the customize option and selecting "phone contactsl and now they show up. Thank yyou very much for the help:biggrin: