contact names not showing in text messages

Stonzee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Atrix HD
When I get a text message it just shows the number with a +1 added to it. The name doesn't show up. So I cleared the partition cache. Didn't work.
I did a hard reset. Didn't work. I added +1 to all my contacts didn't work.
Does anyone have a solution for this problem? I don't sync my contacts with any accounts. I've talked to my carrier. They had no clue how to resolve it. I talked to Motorola. They couldn't help. I'm at a loss. Can anyone help resolve this issue? I have an Atrix HD and 4.1.1
Help.

P

promo87

Well, I would say you can't stop this from happening because +1 over here means the country code ! So, I am afraid but there is no any possible solution available instead of it will keep showing things like that and I don't think that's an issue.

OP
Stonzee

Stonzee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Atrix HD
I know what +1 means. And it is an issue to me.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It could be tied to your contacts not being synced with your Google account? Or the messaging app you are using? What phone model do you have & what app are you using for texts? On all the Droid phones I have had (at least the ones I can remember) new SMS messages displayed the Contact name & info...but my contacts are synced with my Google / G Mail account. You could try picking one contact that you receive texts from often and add them as a Google contact and see if it makes a difference (you can always remove them from your Google contacts later...but it might help determine if that is part of this).

OP
Stonzee

Stonzee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Atrix HD
I don't sync with any accounts. I've never set up anything on Google and don't plan to. I have an Atrix HD. I don't use my Google account. I use the stock app that came on the phone. It worked great until a few days ago when it suddenly stopped showing the names and adding a +1 to all of the numbers.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
OK. I was just suggesting it as a test only....but understand. Not sure why it stopped displaying names? Have you tried clearing the messaging app cache? Or running the phone in Safe Mode?

OP
Stonzee

Stonzee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Atrix HD
Yes, I have done both. Neither worked.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If the issue is still present in Safe Mode...that normally rules out third party Play Store apps as the cause. Other than a FDR, I don't know what else would work.

OP
Stonzee

Stonzee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Atrix HD
I don't have any third party text apps installed. I don't have any apps other than instagram. And it worked until a few days ago and I did not install any new apps.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Do you remember making any changes to the phone before this started... Any new apps, any updates? Any OS updates? I have seen updates to completely unrelated apps cause issues.

OP
Stonzee

Stonzee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Atrix HD
No, I made no changes. I don't keep a lot of apps on my phone. I made no changes and no updates.