Contact List Sort By Letter - Like iPhone?

newt3ch24

Reaction score
Hi,

I went through the "menu" in contacts and I see no where for the option to have "the letters on the right side" like the iPhone does, so you don't have to spend all that time scrolling down, when you can just tap on a letter to get to a contact? I try searching in the market and "BetterContact" was close but it cost money which I don't see why when this feature should be free. Thanks for any help.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I went through the "menu" in contacts and I see no where for the option to have "the letters on the right side" like the iPhone does, so you don't have to spend all that time scrolling down, when you can just tap on a letter to get to a contact? I try searching in the market and "BetterContact" was close but it cost money which I don't see why when this feature should be free. Thanks for any help.

All you have to do in the Contacts menu is type about three letters and the name will pop up. Most of the time I don't even do that, I use the search button on the front of the phone and verbally tell it who I want it to call. This feature works fairly reliably for me however I have heard others say they have a difficult time with it.

fishfood

Reaction score
The MIUI ROM has this feature, and quite honestly its the only feature I do like with that ROM. Assuming you're rooted, is there a way to isolate the contacts .apk from MIUI and apply it to the ROM I'm running?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

MrKleen

Reaction score
Hi,

All you have to do in the Contacts menu is type about three letters and the name will pop up. Most of the time I don't even do that, I use the search button on the front of the phone and verbally tell it who I want it to call. This feature works fairly reliably for me however I have heard others say they have a difficult time with it.

That's because you speak clearly... :) You can't just babble "yo phone, gimme the shiz on cuzin Perry" and expect the phone to decipher it!

The voice recognition works very well with these phones if you speak clearly.

:)

P.S. I sure wish I could have tried the Miui rom

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's because you speak clearly... :) You can't just babble "yo phone, gimme the shiz on cuzin Perry" and expect the phone to decipher it!

No actually that's exactly how I do it. My Droid is down in the hood, ya feel me?dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,

It has trouble with accents . I have a deep southern drawl and have to sound like a Mexican for it to work for me. Jou know what I mean?
Seriously I have to speak more slowly. My Omnia worked great if I said J instead of Y and rolled my Rs.
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

OP
N

newt3ch24

Reaction score
All,

Thanks for your inputs. I guess verbally telling it who to call or search will work. But if anyone knows a way to have the letter on the right side to sort the contacts please share.

xliderider

Reaction score
When scrolling through the contact list, doesn't a pop up a slider tab that you can use to "scroll" through your contacts display the letter of the alphabet that it is currently scrolling though? I'm not using the stock software anymore, but my Liberty rom does this.

OP
N

newt3ch24

Reaction score
xliderider,

No I don't see it and I am also using the newest Liberty release. I tried installing the wy contacts and the contacts [asop] and don't see the alphabet option on the right when scrolling. Is there a settings that you tweaked to do that?

xliderider

Reaction score
It doesn't show the alphabet list down the side like you want, but there is a gray square-shaped tab that appears, when you drag that tab, the current letter of the alphabet you are scrolling through appears. It makes it easier to stop scrolling when you reach the letter in which your contact is in.