Contact list by last name

navigator

Reaction score
I recently switched to a Moto Droid. I imported my contact list from Yahoo. Yahoo was last name then first name. In the Droid they are all first/last. Any way to switch them back?

Thanks

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Gesture Search by Google, free in the market. Start typing a name, any part of a name, and it comes up. Would that help?

Welcome to the forums!

artc33

Reaction score
I recently switched to a Moto Droid. I imported my contact list from Yahoo. Yahoo was last name then first name. In the Droid they are all first/last. Any way to switch them back?

Thanks
hey there welcome!

this happened to someone before, except for facebook contacts that are synced, you would have to do this manually.

-go to contacts list.
-tap on a contact.
-menu/edit contact.
-right under the little picture you'll see the contacts name on first line, erase and write last name.
-2nd line (family name) write the contact's first name/save.

go back to contacts list and you'll see your contacts as last-first names, hope this helps. it'll be a little annoying specially if you have a lot of contacts, but this is pretty much one way to do it.

OP
N

navigator

Reaction score
Bummer. I do have quite a few. I am hoping the 2.1 release may have some options to make the change. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who already has the release.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thanks
hey there welcome!

this happened to someone before, except for facebook contacts that are synced, you would have to do this manually.

-go to contacts list.
-tap on a contact.
-menu/edit contact.
-right under the little picture you'll see the contacts name on first line, erase and write last name.
-2nd line (family name) write the contact's first name/save.

go back to contacts list and you'll see your contacts as last-first names, hope this helps. it'll be a little annoying specially if you have a lot of contacts, but this is pretty much one way to do it.

ack! I have over 200 contacts, easily

I synch with gmail. I can export my contacts from gmail to a spreadsheet. I can swap the columns for first and last name. I can then import the contacts back in and then they will have the last name in the first name field on my phone....if I wanted them sorted that way. Looks like I also can import/export to my sd card using the options available within the Droid's contact manager too. Too bad there isn't a "sort order" though.

OP
N

navigator

Reaction score
Chris, like the idea. Will try exporting to a spreadsheet and making the changes and re-syncing.

Will let you know if it works

Thanks

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Chris, like the idea. Will try exporting to a spreadsheet and making the changes and re-syncing.

Will let you know if it works

Thanks

Be sure to change the column headers.....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You did that at gmail.com not google. Just clarifying. ;)

dkelly701

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a new feature of 2.1 or something I haven't noticed in the past. I also like my contacts listed as Last name, First name. I put all my contacts in using Google.com contact manager and in the single box, put them in last name first and first name last. Most did not have a comma between the last and first name, but a few did. When you went to the contacts in Droid, it has two boxes. The top box is "Given Name" and the bottom box is "Family Name." Because mine are last name first, they were in the wrong boxes. No big deal, they still appeared in my contact list by last name first. However, I noticed this morning that the contacts with a comma between the last name and first name, the appropriate names appeared in the Droid contact boxes. I went to Google.com and put a comma between all of the contacts and now they not only appear last name first in the contact list, if you click on edit the contact, the names are in the correct boxes.

Is this something I have just missed in the past or is this something new?

dcorelis

Reaction score
I just had my HTC Incredible replaced through insurance with a Motorola Droid X. With the HTC you can select the contacts display mode as either first name last name or last name, first name. I don't understand why this feature is not available across the Android operating system. The "solution" of re-keying all your Contacts in with the last name in the first name field is absolutely ridiculous! The Motorola is a nice phone, but stuff like this is going to drive me back to the HTC.