Contact info MADNESS, FB and Gmail contact mishap....

derekthorne

Reaction score
So I know that there have been tons of forums and replies with different versions of this problem, but I have looked and do not see one exactly like this, so I am looking for some help.

I have a contact for my cousin (Drew Smith) and under his contact information is his email and his FB profile, but there is ALSO my friend's (Andy Smith) email and FB information.

When I added Andy's phone # it AUTOMATICALLY changed his name to Drew Smith.

When I go into GMAIL and my contacts there is clearly an ANDY and a DREW Smith, with different telephone numbers.

When I click on the two different FB profiles under DREW's contact, it takes me to the two different FB profiles.

When I did the FB sync I had to go in and change some friends contact information from their nickname to their FB name in order to get the profiles to sync up. But for some reason this one is still mis-matching. This is the ONLY one that is doing it as far as I can tell.

I have gone in and un-synced the FB contacts and re-synced them, I have gone in and un-synced the Gmail contacts and resynced them, and for some reason I still get the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

JayMonster

Reaction score
Go into the contact in question, go to Menu>Edit, the go to Menu>Separate. You can separate (and re-"join" in necessary) the information.

OP
D

derekthorne

Reaction score
I did that, and now ANDY's info is gone from DREW's contact, but now ANDY's contact information is TOTALLY gone.

I am going to go through GMAIL contact list and redo everything and then try to sync them up again, this is getting frustrating.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Wait... before you try something else. Go into Contacts, go to Menu>Display Options. Select Gmail. You will most likely have System Group: My Contacts checked. Scroll down and check "All other contacts"

Go back and see if Any is now displayed.

Alternately, you can go into Gmail on the web. Go to Andy's contact, and on the right hand side of the the screen, if he isn't part of "My Contact" there should be a button to add him.

Try that first, since my guess is the contact is actually there (Gmail wouldn't delete the contact just because you removed the pairing, but if he isn't part of a displayed "group" he may be just hidden)

OP
D

derekthorne

Reaction score
No, I did that. I went into GMAIL, and went into "My Contacts" and deleted anyone and anything (old email addresses etc.) that I no longer use. I still see them on "All Contacts" but I only want the "My Contacts" people on my phone.

I can not find ANDY's contact information anywhere. But should't it have also downloaded all my FB contacts to my phone? I believe that ANDY has his number on his FB, so it should have added it right?

alwerner

Reaction score
It depends on your FB settings in your contacts (phone). If you go into your Facebook account within Contacts (on your phone) you can tell Android to add all of your friends as contacts or just FB Friends that are in your contact list.

The FB friends with contact info does not alter your Google Contact information. Just the way it displays. I have found that it matches on name (i.e. FB name matches Contact name).

The other point that JayMonster was making was that you can limit which group of Google Contacts you look at by which group they are in.

If you have your contacts on your phone to look at My Contacts, and Andy is not in that group, then you won't see him show up, nor will you abe able to see his information if you added FB friends which are contacts.

I hope this helps a bit.

OP
D

derekthorne

Reaction score
So I got ANDY's number again. I went into Contacts (on the phone, AND "My Contacts" on GMAIL) and I entered ANDY's phone number.

When I looked for it under ANDY guess what....it was not there. However, I went into DREW's contact information to realize that it had been updated, with ANDY's information. WTF.

OP
D

derekthorne

Reaction score
So here are some things I have done so far.

COMPLETELY removed ALL FB information from my phone.

Went into Gmail and COMPLETELY revamped my contact list.
I changed/seperated ANDY and DREW's contact information. I even added ANDY's nickname in the information section on Gmail's "My Contacts" information section.
Under Gmail "My Contacts" ANDY and DREW show up as two DIFFERENT contacts.

I restored my phone to factory settings.

I re-activated my phone.

I logged into Gmail.

I synced up all my contacts.

I went into my phone's contact list and guess what..........

When I open DREW's contact info, BOTH ANDY AND DREW ARE STILL THERE. It even has ANDY's nickname on the contact information, UNDER DREW!!!

They are seperate on Gmail contacts, but for some reason they appear together (under DREW) on my phone. WTF? It must be a bug with the software or something, but if anyone knows what I can do, please let me know. :mad:

OP
D

derekthorne

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I think that I may have JUST found a way to fix it. I went into DREW's contact and hit the MENU button, then selected "Un-Join" or whatever that option is (seperate or something).

I have NO idea why it was joined in the first place as they are two seperate contacts in my Gmail, and I never went in and selected them to be joined, but who knows.

Now, I am going to add my FB information, and choose "Sync only with contacts" and let's see what happens.

OP
D

derekthorne

Reaction score
THAT DID IT!!!

When I went in and "unjoined" DREW and ANDY (still not sure why they were joined automatically as they were two seperate contacts in Gmail) it had them as two seperate contacts.

When I updated my FB information, it now has them as TWO SEPERATE contacts, each with their own number and FB profile!

YAY!

JayMonster

Reaction score
THAT DID IT!!!

When I went in and "unjoined" DREW and ANDY (still not sure why they were joined automatically as they were two seperate contacts in Gmail) it had them as two seperate contacts.

When I updated my FB information, it now has them as TWO SEPERATE contacts, each with their own number and FB profile!

YAY!

I thought you had said you had already tried that? That was the first suggestion... anyway... glad it works now.