Consumer Reports 'Can't Recommend' iPhone 4 Due to Signal Issues

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by kenbarnum, Jul 12, 2010.

1. kenbarnum

kenbarnum New Member

This is too funny! From macrumors.com (which is super pro apple):
    Consumer Reports 'Can't Recommend' iPhone 4 Due to Signal Issues - Mac Rumors

Consumer Reports 'Can't Recommend' iPhone 4 Due to Signal Issues

Monday July 12, 2010 12:04 PM EST; Category: iPhone
    Written by Eric Slivka
    Earlier this month, popular product review and comparison group Consumer Reports noted that it felt that signal issues with the iPhone 4 were not significant enough for users to forgo buying the device, citing overall improvement in signal strength and the fact that many phones experience the same issue. Bottom line: There's no reason, at least yet, to forgo buying an iPhone 4 over its reception concerns. And even if those do materialize, Apple's Steve Jobs helpfully reminds new iPhone buyers that "you can return your undamaged iPhone to any Apple Retail Store or the online Apple Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund."
    Just one day later, however, Consumer Reports confirmed that it had been able to duplicate the signal loss issue in real-life settings, something it wasn't able to do in its testing center.

Today, as part of its smartphone ratings, Consumer Reports officially reports that it is unable to offer a "recommended" label for the iPhone 4, despite the fact that the device's feature set placed it at the top of the magazine's rankings. It's official. Consumer Reports' engineers have just completed testing the iPhone 4, and have confirmed that there is a problem with its reception. When your finger or hand touches a spot on the phone's lower left side -- an easy thing, especially for lefties -- the signal can significantly degrade enough to cause you to lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal. Due to this problem, we can't recommend the iPhone 4.
    The magazine confirmed the signal loss issue in its testing laboratories while also finding no comparable loss in other smartphones, including the iPhone 3GS, suggesting that Apple's claim that the problem is simply a software display issue may not be true. The magazine also confirmed that duct tape placed over the affected portion of the case alleviates the issue, as should also be the case with cases and bumpers.

Consequently, Consumer Reports notes that it is unable to recommend the iPhone 4 until Apple comes up with a permanent and free fix for the signal issues.
  2. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

I applaud consumer reports for having the balls to report the TRUTH. It's about time a credible source of information has the guts to stand up to the mighty Apple and say it like it is.
  3. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Introducing iTape.. the ultimate fix for your iPhone reception issues

[​IMG]
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

The fanbois will spin the report....
  5. Droidee

Droidee New Member

LMFAO and ROFL. The tape is hysterical and sadly true. LOL
  6. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

500 dollar device that only works right with a piece of duct tape.... lol

priceless.
  7. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

The inconsistent signal is actually better for two reasons. 1) It helps decrease radiation exposure to the brain, and 2) It helps bring the personal touch back to our lives, forcing us to unpredictably have to revert back to using landlines or face to face conversation.

:icon_ poke:
  8. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

I like that word free. This is like any product that faces a recall. They should give away bumpers (to be fair, you have to put in a claim that you have a problem first); it would help their PR no end.
  9. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I agree, I wonder what ppl are gonna say about Consumer Reports. I use them when looking to buy cars. So I would have no problem trusting their judgment on a phone.
  10. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

i've used them for a handful of other items in addition to cars and their reviews/advice have always held solid... i know a lot of people that trust them as well, so, in my opinion, i think this is a pretty big publicity hit for apple
  11. kenbarnum

kenbarnum New Member

Consumer Reports is the best. I check them before any major purchase and they always seem to be right on the money.
  12. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

I did that for cell phones. Years ago I checked and at the time Sprint or Verizon were top for service and phones. I went with Sprint because the phone was cheaper and at the time that's all I needed. This year I checked again and Verizon was tops for service and phones. The Droid wasn't in the list of phones it rated because it was too new, but I looked at the list online to see if I wanted any instead of the Droid. Didn't.

I'm also glad CS reported the truth.
  13. sic0048

sic0048 New Member

[sarcasm]For FREE!!! Apple cannot afford that. I mean they only have something like 41 Billion dollars in cash on hand right now (thats 41,000 million dollars). Handing out a free bumper case to every iPhone 4 user would cost something like 100 million dollars. How could they ever survive?[/sarcasm]

:):):)
  14. aaf709

[sarcasm]Oh yes, what was I thinking? Here I am, throwing other people's money away. For shame, for shame.[/sarcasm]
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  15. bastosero

bastosero New Member

Steve Jobs must be kicking himself right now for saying to hold the iPhone 4 a different way instead of actually putting out a decent product in the first place. Then again, he just tricked a lot of people into buying a crappy "phone" and take their money. When will people learn? LOL :)
  16. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

Add this and the class action lawsuit agains AT&T and Apple... Steve Jobs is having a bad week...
  17. aaf709

18. Rindaen

Rindaen New Member

Never used Consumer reports for anything.

They cant recomend the iPhone but yet they list the iPhone 4 as the best Smartphone on the market.
    And now they are changing there stance on the iPhone's signal issue
    Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: iPhone 4's supposed signal woes aren?t unique, and may not be serious

This issue isnt unique to the iPhone 4 , Nexus 1 has an issue when you cover the lower left (i think) portion of the phone.

My 3G doesnt have this issue, ofcourse the plastic back helps i think

iPhone 4 - Antenna issue
    Droid X - Open system? thats Locked down tight :huh:

ATT Save $15 USD a Month
    Verizon Spend $20 USD more a month

Not like we can trust Cunsumer reports is it?
  19. kenbarnum

kenbarnum New Member

The blog is 2 weeks old. It even has an old update where the author recounts this because he had the issue himself.
    Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: iPhone 4 signal debate rages; we experience signal loss in some calls

Consumer Reports got this right.
  20. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

lol@ppl questioning Consumer Reports. Like I explained at Engadget, these folks are involved in testing car safety, baby car seats safety, stroller safety, crib safety....

They test everything under the sun for best value, safest, most durable, etc....

Cmon ppl. And ppl that are questioning CR dont understand the power they have. That CR rating could actually mean a dip in sales. Really.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010