Consumer Product Safety Commission: Stop using the Galaxy Note 7

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Samsung is now saying they will remotely deactivate devices after September 30th.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Imagine being in the middle of a important call and poof. Deactivated. I for one would love to see removable batteries again.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Samsung is now saying they will remotely deactivate devices after September 30th.

And they think their litigation would be less by not having the phone work? All the rest would work, wouldn't Carrier be the one to deactivate it? If they want to pay for my time to return their junk, I'll do it, but I'm not cheap...
Quiet Sajo

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

I am hearing from other forums that it is not true. It was just copied from an untrusted source on Reddit.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes. Just swap the sim. Call the activation number and you're good. I've done this in the past when my local store had to ship me a new device due to mine being faulty and not having stock. Rode my old unit for a few days until the new one showed up.
You don't have to call anyone, as long as sim cards are same size just swap them between devices.

As of note 7, I think this phone is doomed. Unless samsung can remotely kill all defective devices, even the future notes 7 have no residual value.

Use caution if you plan on getting another note 7.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I am hearing from other forums that it is not true. It was just copied from an untrusted source on Reddit.
I have to believe what you've said as well. I don't think a phone manufacturer has the authority to deactivate any device they sold to a consumer. Once they release the product, they release all authority over it. Ownership is the law. Only a court could intervene and make such a decision.

Reports quote the "source" as saying that Samsung is going to send an update OTA for the Note 7 which will render it inoperative. They do have the authority to send updates, but doing so with the purpose of rendering it inoperative would be taking a huge risk and still what I believe to be outside their legal rights. Someone may be unaware that this recall is out there, or is somehow unable to make the exchange due to travel or otherwise. If they then have the phone rendered inoperative and were to run into an emergency situation and couldn't call 911, the liability placed on them could be even more devastating than the extremely small statistical risk of a fire.

Also, users can turn off or refuse to accept OTA updates so I can't see that being a reasonable action on the part of a manufacturer. The carrier may have authority to deactivate the service of for the phone based on its apparent and dangerous flaw. Federal law requires that all cell phones be able to make 911 calls, even if there is no cellular plan on the phone. I suppose it's not completely inconceivable that they could reduce it to an emergency phone, but still seems way out of line, although CPSC could perhaps have a hand in this.