Constant MD5 failures with ClockWorkMod

buellboy9

Reaction score
First off, I read [How To] Fix md5 mismatch nandroid restore - xda-developers and it didn't help. First thing I'd noticed is that the backup files are NOT "*img" but are instead "*.tar". I tried both, but neither one worked and the restore still bombs out. Backups are on sdcard-ext, there are NO spaces in the directory names. WTF?? I have a bunch of useless backups and I'm basically walking a tightrope here without a net... if something should happen I'm basically screwed.

All of my apps are backed up individually by TitaniumBackup (Thank GOD) but it doesn't look like Koush has done anything with ROM Manager or ClockWorkMod in MONTHS. I KNOW these backups used to work because the last time Verizon sent out an update, I was able to restore my stock system, allow the update to happen, and then restore my Eclipse backup and keep going. Now that Verizon is "soak-testing" another update I attempted to test the backups and NOTHING works! HELP!!
:mad:

dave8311

Reaction score
I am interested in this as well. Almost always get md5 mismatch and when I do get it to restore, it bootloops.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not just spaces that cause issues. You can only use approved characters (A-Z, 0-9, and underscores). Also, make sure you don't move them out of the original CWM backup folder. This will cause MD5 mismatches.

bigmook

Reaction score
Try and install eailier versions of clockworkmod. If the backup was made on an earlier version of clockworkmod it will usually. Error out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

dave8311

Reaction score
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, however in my case I'm not changing anything. I boot into recovery, do a nandroid backup, then try to restore from the backup just created and I get md5 mismatch, or it restores (occasionally) and now I'm bootlooped. Stock rom, nothing added except rooted and clockworkmod recovery.

OP
B

buellboy9

Reaction score
I'm with Dave on this one. I can do a backup that appears successful, but if I immediately try to restore from the backup I just made, it fails on an MD5 mismatch. Damn near all the time these days. It used to work... I can't even remember when it started failing.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, however in my case I'm not changing anything. I boot into recovery, do a nandroid backup, then try to restore from the backup just created and I get md5 mismatch, or it restores (occasionally) and now I'm bootlooped. Stock rom, nothing added except rooted and clockworkmod recovery.

Have you tried reflashing CWM?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes. I am thinking I need to completely remove CWM and start from a fresh install. Is there an easy way to completely remove CWM?

Forgive my ignorance since I only owned a D1, but the only way I know to completely remove it is through an SBF (or FXZ or whatever they call it now).

Edit: Found this for you though

UNINSTALL the Recovery APK (Droid X Bootstrapper) in Settings, Applications
Reboot
Run "adb shell"
Run "su"
Run "mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system"
Run "cp /system/bin/logwrapper.bin /system/bin/logwrapper"

*The commands you can run with Terminal Emulator*