Constant Freezes and Reboots

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by homemadehitshow, Sep 19, 2011.

1. homemadehitshow

homemadehitshow New Member

I've been happy with Bugless on the OG for around 6 weeks but suddenly now I'm getting lots of freezes and reboots. At this point I just want a working phone to tide me over until the Bionic or Prime upgrade I'm planning.

Any suggestions, other roms, back to stock ?
  2. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

People almost never like the second part of my suggestion but here goes anyway. When I run a ROM for a longer period of time and it starts to have issues that it did not initially, I first try to wipe cache and dalvic cache from within recovery (whichever you are using). If that does not help then I back up whatever I can, followed by a full wipe and re installing the ROM.
  3. homemadehitshow

homemadehitshow New Member

Thanks. I'm more than happy to reload, I was scared of that for a long time but it's pretty trivial really. What I'm not keen on is not understanding the cause. I worry that I would go through that then encounter the same problems.
  4. JSM9872

Its always a possibility that it will keep happening. And as far as what caused it. Admittedly I am not technically inclined and trying to explain it I would probably just be wrong or confuse you and myself lol. I just find a clean slate usually takes care of the problem, not a definite though. And of course I make a back up first in case I want to revert back for any reason.

Sent From a Tear in the Space/Time Continuum...
  5. hlt123

hlt123 New Member

I had the same problem.

Since wiping data & cache 3x and reinstalling yesterday, everything from battery life to redraws has been MARKEDLY better, without a single freeze or reboot.

One major difference between this install and the last is I didn't change the kernel. I wonder how much that has to do with the instability I experienced.
  6. KJW979

KJW979 Member

With my phone I notice on any ROM I run after a while it becomes laggy, slow, and get many random fc's. Why I don't really know but I've resigned to the fact that every so often I will have to reinstall or install another rom to make better.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  7. JSM9872

+1.

A reinstall for me has always fixed lag and other issues that arise after an extended run on one ROM.

Sent From a Tear in the Space/Time Continuum...
  8. omniphil

omniphil New Member

Can you backup the current rom, format everything and then restore the same rom back to achieve the same thing?
  9. KJW979

KJW979 Member

Might, but with me I'm constantly changing ROM's as I get bored, I guess, with them after awhile, so when they bog down I change. This ROM right now running super fast and problem free but some things I miss from other ROM's, like all the great themes in MIUI or being able to make changes in status bar in SS or PE. So every month or so I change.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  10. JSM9872

You could certainly give it a shot. I do not know what to expect since it does restore to the exact state you make the nandroid at but it definitely will not hurt. Worst case scenario it does not and you just do the full wipe anyway.
  11. mwahlquist

mwahlquist New Member

I just reported my finding on this in a new thread, but here is the brief synopsis. I have flashed ROM literally hundreds of times. I had no issues doing this again and again at the first signs of a problem. Finally, that didn't work and I assumed HW failure, since no ones ROMs were "good" anymore. Pete suggested I return to stock (no root) and start over. I finally did that last night and I have a completely new handset again. I wish I could offer a better explanation, and I intend to dig into this further, but it just works. There must be something that doesn't get wiped during a normal ROM install that does get blown away with RSDlite and an sbf. If I figure out what it is I will reco a way to do this more easily as a normal course of business rather than return to stock, but with ICS so close, I may just wait till we get moving with that. Let me know if this helps or if anyone can explain...

EDIT: before anyone starts flaming me, of course I wipe data/cache/dalvik 3 times EVERYTIME... even though its overkill.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
Search tags for this page
android constant hangs
android freezing and rebooting
droid 3 crashing restarting

droid 3 freezes and restarts

droid 3 hangs and reboots
droid 4 freezes and reboots
droid charge freezing and restarting
droid razr m freezes on startup then restarts
droid reboots freezes reboots freezes
frequent random restarts droid bionic