Conspiracy theory, your thoughts!

SHAK3R

Reaction score
I'm one of Verizon's outcasts. I currently am under the grandfather status and refuse to give my unlimited data up.

Here's my story

My Rezound a month or two ago out of the blue was unable to charge. I chalked it up to father time. Being on unlimited I of course can't upgrade and didn't have the funds for a full retail purchase. I resorted to eBay and bought a LG Lucid for $50. Pretty decent phone IMO. Now the same thing that was happening with the Rezound is now happening with the Lucid. Wont charge.

Now I'm desperate and purchase a damn Pantech Breakout off eBay for $15. I end up rooting it so I can tether (to my surprise tethering works well)

Here's where it gets weird. I rely a lot on Google maps for my job and the pantech just wasn't cutting it, so I tried charging the lucid in attempt to tether the connection to the lucid while driving for the Google maps. Not only did the lucid hold a charge better, when I actually needed to charge it, it charged. Even while Google maps was active.

Sorry for the rambling but my question is. Could Big Red possibly be sending some sort of signal or anything to the phone when it's active on my account and there network. To make the phone not work, to possibly wear me down and use my upgrade.

ps
I'm on the Lucid and used it to write this and have been on it most of the day.

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No.

Sounds like a bad charger to me.

Tapp'd from one of my Nexus Devices

OP
SHAK3R

SHAK3R

Reaction score
I've gone through no lie 6 chargers. Cheap, exspensive, Verizon, non Verizon, high volt & low volt.

Not to mention 2 Lucid batteries and 2 standard batteries and a extended for the Rezound. If you would like a picture of them all no problem

Only time I have trouble is when either phone is activated

OP
SHAK3R

SHAK3R

Reaction score
I'm one of Verizon's outcasts. I currently am under the grandfather status and refuse to give my unlimited data up.

Here's my story

My Rezound a month or two ago out of the blue was unable to charge. I chalked it up to father time. Being on unlimited I of course can't upgrade and didn't have the funds for a full retail purchase. I resorted to eBay and bought a LG Lucid for $50. Pretty decent phone IMO. Now the same thing that was happening with the Rezound is now happening with the Lucid. Wont charge.

Now I'm desperate and purchase a damn Pantech Breakout off eBay for $15. I end up rooting it so I can tether (to my surprise tethering works well)

Here's where it gets weird. I rely a lot on Google maps for my job and the pantech just wasn't cutting it, so I tried charging the lucid in attempt to tether the connection to the lucid while driving for the Google maps. Not only did the lucid hold a charge better, when I actually needed to charge it, it charged. Even while Google maps was active.

Sorry for the rambling but my question is. Could Big Red possibly be sending some sort of signal or anything to the phone when it's active on my account and there network. To make the phone not work, to possibly wear me down and use my upgrade.

ps
I'm on the Lucid and used it to write this and have been on it most of the day.

skennelly

Reaction score
No. I have had phones not charge with certain usb cables, but work well with others. I have also had line from my pocket get into the charging port and cause a bad connection which prevented the phone from charging.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Lol... no... my guess is similar to the previous poster, you have other issues here, and something in common, a bad outlet in the wall, bad/under rated charger, bad cable, lint buildup, moisture issue... something that is common to all these phones is your issue.

OP
SHAK3R

SHAK3R

Reaction score
I've gone through no lie 6 chargers. Cheap, exspensive, Verizon, non Verizon, high volt & low volt.

Not to mention 2 Lucid batteries and 2 standard batteries and a extended for the Rezound. If you would like a picture of them all no problem

Only time I have trouble is when either phone is activated.

When the phone is connected to wifi and being used all day the phone will still charge and also the charge on the battery will last longer

acejavelin

Reaction score
Well, the answer to your question is still no, Verizon, or any other carrier, does not have the ability to enable or disable charging on your phone remotely. This is a function of Recovery when the phone is off, and the kernel when it is powered on, and we have the source code for those items and if something was seen in that code that would give them the ability to do that developers would have been throwing up red flags like crazy, and trust me the major developers on the Rezound are an amazing group of coders and would not miss something like that.

I am not sure what you mean by "high volt & low volt"... the price of a charger is also irrelevant the quality is the issue. The chargers for all these device should have identical ratings of ~5vDC and 1.0 amps (1000ma).

When you say they are not charging, do you mean they APPEAR to be charging but the battery level never increases, or they seem to not be connected to any power source? The difference in troubleshooting the two items is pretty different.

Out of curiosity, what does GSAM or BetterBatteryStats show is using the battery? Are you in an area of low Verizon signal strength (don't trust the bars, go to Settings->About Phone->Status and look at the signal strength)? My guess is you have a combination of things going on with apps/signal strength/chargers that is causing the battery to drain faster than it chargers, and don't kid yourself, this isn't that hard to do especially on first generation 4G phones you have. Some common battery draining apps are Google Maps, Google Location Services, Google+, Facebook, Yahoo Mail, Exchange service (Corporate email), just to name a few. I have seen my Rez being charged with a 800ma charger, Google Maps running with the screen on full brightness, and in rural areas heat the phone up like an oven and actually discharge the battery rather than charge it even with the charger connected and I have seen Exchange services get stuck syncing and drain a battery dead in two-three hours in poor signal areas.

So basically I am saying if you have eliminated chargers and batteries, there is something else in common with all these devices that is causing your issue, not Verizon trying to "slam your back door". :)

Last edited:
OP
SHAK3R

SHAK3R

Reaction score
Sorry about that. I meant amp not volt. I also appreciate all you say.

In response to some of the things you asked.

The phones will show, act and go through all the motions of charging, however it wont charge while the phone is activated. My computer also recognizes it also. The only time it will charge is when there is no network or the phone is off.

Another thing why all of a sudden. I didn't move, start a new job or for that matter download any new apps. My location in the world hasn't changed, LOL.

I do hope you understand the whole conspiracy theory is tongue & cheek, however I am extremely curious & annoyed with what's going on.

acejavelin

Reaction score
It's all good... I understand your frustration and get that you were joking and venting a little, I didn't really take it to seriously.

I would look into what is discharging the battery, something is draining the battery faster than it can charge when you are connected via mobile data. Look at GSAM or BetterBatteryStats in the Play Store and install it and look at what is actually draining the battery.

Also, when it is "charging" but not charging, go into the dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#* (might have to press Send, depends on ROM) and go to Battery Info and let me know what it shows under Battery Status and Power Plug, or better yet just grab a screen shot and attach it.

OP
SHAK3R

SHAK3R

Reaction score
Thanks I'll look into the apps. Also on a side note. I may need help in a different area all together.

To start I was stock root (Just needed to tether) Now I say "was" rooted because I some how lost root. Towards the end of my misery with the battery issue I did a reset of the phone. Coming out of the reset I lost root. No clue why or how. Plus there is a OTA available now that wont download and install. I didn't care about since I was accepting defeat and willing to move on. I'm curious now since there is a new road to pursue with your suggestion of apps and test.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Thanks I'll look into the apps. Also on a side note. I may need help in a different area all together.

To start I was stock root (Just needed to tether) Now I say "was" rooted because I some how lost root. Towards the end of my misery with the battery issue I did a reset of the phone. Coming out of the reset I lost root. No clue why or how. Plus there is a OTA available now that wont download and install. I didn't care about since I was accepting defeat and willing to move on. I'm curious now since there is a new road to pursue with your suggestion of apps and test.
Hmmm... what software are you on now?

To get root back should be fairly simple... do you still have adb/fastboot on your PC? If so, download the latest 2.6.3.0 TWRP from Goo, extract the zip to get the openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-vigor.img file and copy it to your fastboot directory, download SuperSU v1.65 ZIP file and put it on the root of your SD card, reboot the phone into hboot and start fastboot, then type "fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-vigor.img" then once that starts, Install and find the SuperSU file and install, wipe cache and Dalvik, reboot and enjoy.

Synappse

Reaction score
No. I have had phones not charge with certain usb cables, but work well with others. I have also had line from my pocket get into the charging port and cause a bad connection which prevented the phone from charging.

I've had the same experiences