Considering upgrading from my Bionic

Gelzyme

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm sitting here considering upgrading my Bionic to a newer phone. There's no urgent need to upgrade. I'm happy running my Bionic with Eclipse v2.2. All the same, I'd like to get some suggestions as to what I should upgrade to. I'm asking the question here simply because I've been too busy trying to make ends meet and haven't had time to keep up with the latest & greatest in about 6 months. I am not willing to switch from Verizon so therefore I need something relatively easy to root so I can get rid of the bloatware and get WiFi tethering. The new phone has to be solid enough to handle being in a house with 4 children.

I really appreciate your help with this!

wheeler062505

Reaction score
Gelzyme said:
Hey guys!

I'm sitting here considering upgrading my Bionic to a newer phone. There's no urgent need to upgrade. I'm happy running my Bionic with Eclipse v2.2. All the same, I'd like to get some suggestions as to what I should upgrade to. I'm asking the question here simply because I've been too busy trying to make ends meet and haven't had time to keep up with the latest & greatest in about 6 months. I am not willing to switch from Verizon so therefore I need something relatively easy to root so I can get rid of the bloatware and get WiFi tethering. The new phone has to be solid enough to handle being in a house with 4 children.

I really appreciate your help with this!

So I believe the Samsung galaxy 3 is top dog right now, but the new DROID razr m is also a higher end phone that just came out this week for 99 dollars. Hope this helps.

rumblee1

Reaction score
Be patient for a couple of months. The razr maxx H D will be out. That's the one to get. The s3 is a great phone, but not really built with a heavy user in mind. My buddy has one and, already, the back is full of scratches. Just seems really flimsy. Too bad because it does everything right but so will the maxx hd and it'll have that 3300 mha battery beast plus jelly bean by December. And don't forget the one thing samsung is weak in is phone calls. Reception no where near as good as moto. I've still got my bionic, still a great phone. It's been dropped a few times without a case or screen protector and only a small scratch on the side of the phone. No cracked screen or scratch. Moto's are built to last.

Last edited:

wheeler062505

Reaction score
rumblee1 said:
Be patient for a couple of months. The razr maxx H D will be out. That's the one to get. The s3 is a great phone, but not really built with a heavy user in mind. My buddy has one and, already, the back is full of scratches. Just seems really flimsy. Too bad because it does everything right but so will the maxx hd and it'll have that 3300 mha battery beast plus jelly bean by December. And don't forget the one thing samsung is weak in is phone calls. Reception no where near as good as moto. I've still got my bionic, still a great phone. It's been dropped a few times without a case or screen protector and only a small scratch on the side of the phone. No cracked screen or scratch. Moto's are built to last.

I agree with you on that. I too have the bionic and have bounced it a few times and it's still going strong. Great call reception but don't get strong data. Thank god one of my neighbors has WiFi or I would be on the phone with Verizon weekly.

rumblee1

Reaction score
Actually my data connection is great everywhere I go, but I leave my phone on 3G because of battery drain. But, it's still very fast. That's why I'm waiting for the RAZR maxx hd. I can use the 4G without worrying about the battery.

OP
Gelzyme

Gelzyme

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I think waiting for the Razr Maxx HD is a great idea. I bought my wife the Razr Maxx when it came out and it has been great; I'm excited to hear about the HD version.

While I'm asking for advice, can I hijack my own thread and ask opinions on tablets? I really loved the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, but it's time for new. Suggestions? I really think a 10.1" screen tabs are too unwieldy. I'm not a huge fan of the 7" tabs either.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I'm really liking the Razr M but I refuse to do another upgrade with VZW since I would lose my unlimited data.
I'll be looking on CL to see if anybody is selling one for a decent price in a month or so.

OP
Gelzyme

Gelzyme

Reaction score
Why would you lose unlimited data when you upgrade? I didn't when I upgraded to the Bionic, so I'm curious.

Lil4cyl

Reaction score
My brother has a galaxy s3 and it is a piece of crap..signal sucks. This is with Verizon. He went ahead and has an Iphone 5 coming. They seem to get much better reception

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
Why would you lose unlimited data when you upgrade? I didn't when I upgraded to the Bionic, so I'm curious.

VZW no longer offers grandfathered unlimited data when you sign a new contract.
They force you into tiered data as of a few months ago.

Not to mention the $30 "Upgrade Fee".

OP
Gelzyme

Gelzyme

Reaction score
VZW no longer offers grandfathered unlimited data when you sign a new contract.
They force you into tiered data as of a few months ago.

Not to mention the $30 "Upgrade Fee".

Screw that! Is there anything I can do to avoid it while still getting a new phone?

nateohio

Reaction score
Buy it full retail or wait a while for used prices to drop...

rumblee1

Reaction score
Verizon told me I can get can upgrade at full retail. And keep unlimited data

Just_AGuy

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I think waiting for the Razr Maxx HD is a great idea. I bought my wife the Razr Maxx when it came out and it has been great; I'm excited to hear about the HD version.

While I'm asking for advice, can I hijack my own thread and ask opinions on tablets? I really loved the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, but it's time for new. Suggestions? I really think a 10.1" screen tabs are too unwieldy. I'm not a huge fan of the 7" tabs either.

Take a look at the Asus Transformer TF300T. It is a10 inch screen though. I bought one for my wife. A Jelly Bean update was pushed a few weeks ago.

sgregory111

Reaction score
My Bionic is my last Verizon phone

I am a long term Verizon customer. Must be about 15 years now. However, my Bionic is my last Verizon phone. Not because of how they and/or Motorola treats the Bionic. Not because it is taking forever to get ICS on the Bionic. Those are frustrations, but not show stoppers. Verizon does have a great network and a reasonably competent support system.

My reason for leaving Verizon is I am not willing to give up unlimited data. I travel a lot for work, and some months my data usage is very high and other times it is low. I probably average 3-4 gig a month.

I will keep my Bionic as long as possible. It is a great phone. I am running .232 ICS and love it. New would be fun, but this is fine for now.

When I need to upgrade, if I can't keep my unlimited plan then I will try another provider, there are many that offer unlimited data. I realize not all unlimited data plans are equal, will have to do my homework.

For me, the new share everything plans just mean I would share more of my money with Verizon.