Considering the Fascinate... but should I consider the Incredible?

jlconaway

Reaction score
User Experience

Other than a slight GPS issue (it will, sometimes, take several minutes to get a lock, but I've had this issue with the iPhone 3GS and Blackjack 1 & 2, so I'm not too concerned about it; it's always been accurate, for me), the Fascinate has been a wonderful phone. I DID have to take my first unit in for a replacement, though; the video was choppy on it out of the box. It might have been a bad unit, because the new one is working just fine.

I don't use the TW interface; I prefer Launcher Pro because it has a LOT of space on the dock for my most used apps. My screens are clean, except for a single count-down app I use to keep track of my days left on my job. I prefer to see the background when I look at my phone, not a bunch of icons (my computer is the same way).

Internet access is quick and clean, for the most part. I do notice, though, that the phone will drop to 1X speeds for no apparent reason, even with full 3G cars on the display. It doesn't last long and switches back when I use data, so it's not much of a bother.

GPS has been spot-on, for me. When it takes a long time to get a lock, I simply cycle the GPS from the notification area (not restart the program), and this usually fixes the problem. Since the new incremental update Verizon rolled out, though, this hasn't been an issue.

Phone calls have been clear on both ends and sound nice. Sometimes, I have to turn the ear-piece down when I answer the call, but I don't think it's the phone.

It does come with a lot of useless applications (Verizon-ware, for instance), but it's not a big bother to me. I do like some of what it comes bundled with, though. The clock has a Smart Alarm that eases me out of sleep, rather than putting me on the ceiling first thing in the morning, and has the option of launching the Daily Briefing app, which shows the weather, news, your calendar, and financial stock information, if you have any. I don't, but I still like the daily brief. The camera also has several cool functions not standard on most phones (I'm not sure if the DX has them, though). For instance, it has an Add Me setting that allows you to take two pictures of a subject in different poses, and splice them together. I took a picture of a friend of mine and made it look like he was back-to-back with himself, in a different pose and facial expression. Not much, but I think it's a really cool setting that I've never seen on another phone (or camera, for that matter).

All in all, this has been the best device I've used (I say device, because it's my book, radio, MP3 player, camera, calendar, alarm clock, and navigation unit). The small(ish) thickness, coupled with a case/clip combo I use, keep it close to my hip and doesn't jostle around or get caught on anything. I hesitate putting it in my pocket, because it feels fragile, without the case on it.

I've looked at the DX (a friend of mine has one) and it does look like an equally amazing phone. He hasn't had any issues with his and, after playing with my phone for a while, thinks they're equally good phones. I did a little research and did find the the fascinate has an updated GPU, so if you are into gaming, that my prove to be a deciding factor (I don't play many games, except for the occasional Angry Birds, but there it is).

x-iphone-user

Reaction score
the one thing i have hated about my x is that there are apps that i will never use cloging up my phone :(

jlconaway

Reaction score
The Fascinate has the same thing (Verizon bloat-ware), but it doesn't bother me. I simply don't use them. ;)

zeroryde

Reaction score
ugh, I have the droid x, and the fascinate just seems to bug me to trade, but I'm not dissatisfied with my x either... too bad there isn't a CLEAR cut winner

spider210

Reaction score
You would be taking a downgrade with the fascinate going from 512mb of ram to 384mb of ram...think about it....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk