1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Considering switching from BB, wanting a stable Froyo rom.. couple questions

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by velocity92c, Jun 19, 2010.

1. velocity92c

velocity92c New Member

I loved BBv1.x, but I'm disappointed with pete's froyo roms thus far. To his credit, he did make sure to point out in advance that they were experimental and not totally stable. I'm looking for a stable Froyo rom now though, so I'm considering switching.

1) is this rom stable?
    2) are there some decent looking themes? I'm in love with smoked glass, default theme is so ugly to me
    3) anything special I need to know before switching?

Thanks in advance.
  2. les017

les017 New Member

SS 4.1 is totally stable for me. The theme is based on the old Smoked Glass from AdamZ but I have found that the 928 theme is elegantly amazing in its simplicity and level of detail. This is what I run and it is fast and smooth with no problem over laying the SS theme.
  3. Samurai26

Samurai26 New Member

Velocity, I'm in the same boat as you... I love BB and all of Pete's work, but the latest releases aren't that stable and require a lot of patience to really love. I'm on the bubble to giving BB up and switching to SS or Jrummy's froyo rom
  4. tdog7879

tdog7879 New Member

I'm running team chaos 2.2 rom with the red rum theme...and I'm going on my 4th day without any crashes, reboots, lag, force closes...it may lack a couple features but is the most stable rom..I'm also running chevys 1.1kernel
  5. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

ultimatedroid froyo extreme is stable for me it has 4 themes to pick from on the site also blackdroidmod
  6. Moondonkey

Moondonkey New Member

I say go for it, make the switch. I loved petes previous ROMS and just dove into froyo blindly, since it was his work. I am aware that they are experimental, but I got sick of the random shutdowns. This morning I switched to SS for the first time, and I have been stable all day. Will probably go back to a stable BB, once source is out and pete declares them stable, but for now I'm loving SS
  7. virtualhuman

virtualhuman New Member

1) Yes. Also, most issues seem to be from not wiping or from the kernel (Chevy's kernels are awesome - especially the ULV ones - but some may even need a MV one. 4.1 comes with LV 1GHz.

2) I for one love the Smoked Blue theme style of SS ROMs.

3) You may have issues with Maps - an update.zip to fix is posted in the 4.1 thread.
  8. velocity92c

velocity92c New Member

Well I made the switch. So far not very impressed. The main reason I wanted froyo was the performance increase. I ran quadrant standard immediately after installing and got an 879. I was getting 1100+ on BB1.1 and that's a 2.1 rom. I got over 1700 on BB0.1 (froyo rom). Am I missing something here? Flash so far is a major letdown as well. Most videos are unwatchable. This blue on black theme is terrible as well. :(
  9. virtualhuman

virtualhuman New Member

Give it a little time and try again? The Quadrant is quite low so I'd guess it's not OCed much or everything's still syncing. I just ran Quadrant with the ULV 1GHz to check and got 1233.

Flash is... flash.

I love the theme, so can't help you there, though I think I've read others are using other themes? Chevy usually has a stock theme but he didn't with 4.1 - he must have been busy.
  10. velocity92c

velocity92c New Member

Yeah I expected flash to be terrible, not the rom developers fault. However, any idea why the performance is so bad? Even the 1233 you got was barely higher than my previous 2.1 roms score.
  11. virtualhuman

virtualhuman New Member

I don't think performance is bad; it's snappy enough to me. Are you comparing apples to apples in clockspeed? Mine was at 1GHz.
  12. velocity92c

velocity92c New Member

I'm not saying it's slow, but it should definitely outperform my 2.1 rom. I'm at 1ghz on this rom and was only at 800mhz on my 2.1 rom and it still performed much better. I'm probably going to switch back for now. Only thing I wanted from froyo was the performance increase. Thanks for the replies all.
  13. jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw New Member

I made the switch today from BB 0.1 / BB 0.2 / BB 0.2.1(Tried out all of them). I was getting a lot of random reboots with .2 and above so I wanted to try out chevy's rom. First off, I've always like the smoked glass theme and I like how it looks with the blue. I installed the Ulv 1.25 kernal and tested out some stuff.

Linpacks were at around 18-19 mflops
    Quadrant Scores ranged from 1100-1300

With BB I was getting quadrant scores of around 1600 with the 1.25 kernal on and linpacks of 18-19 mflops. So, I've come to realize that SS isn't as good performance wise in 2d graphics and 3d graphics as BB. While watching the Quadrant test in BB I would see fps of around 20 fps in 3d graphics, but in SS I am getting fps of around 15. Personally, I will be using SS until pete can fix the random reboots with BB. As always thanks to Chevy, pete, and all other developers for giving us options for our Droids.
  14. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    He said in the OP that unless you use an app to set the OC speed, it will be at 550mhz by default. If you haven't used Setcpu or anything then that is why it is so slow.
  15. mcapozzi

mcapozzi New Member

Yeah, almost all of us running BB v0.2.1 get Quadrant scores in the 1500-1600 range.

With Froyo, apps will be slower on the first run through because the JIT compiler does a code optimization on the first execution.

You have to use SetCPU to OC more than the default, BB's default speed is 550 (to ensure it won't bootloop on new installs) even though the kernel it ships with CAN run at 800Mhz.

If you change the kernel out, you must have SetCPU re-detect the CPU speeds, it will not do this automatically. If you don't do this, it will not OC the kernel beyond the limits of the previous kernel.

I doubt that there will be significant differences between custom Froyo ROMs in terms of speed. What will set them apart is features and customization.

If the Froyo version of BB is giving you fits, you would be well advised to do the following:

1) Try a different kernel.
    2) Turn off Apps2SD (which is enabled for all apps by default on BB, see the BB thread for instructions on how to modify this setting).
    3) Turn off the custom shutdown/reboot scripts (see the BB thread for details).

-Mike