Considering Root because of Froyo - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by yago20, Aug 29, 2010.

1. yago20

yago20 New Member

I've had my Verizon Droid since somewhere around March 2010. Before this phone, I had a cell phone just to make calls, that's it. Moving to a smartphone was one of the best decisions I've made. That is, until the Froyo update. It doesn't seem that Verizon has a fix for this, so I'm turning to all of you on this forum. I feel capable of rooting the phone myself, however I do not want to do this over and over again. This leaves me with 2 questions for all rooted Droid users. Below is a list of problems that I am having since the update. Will rooting fix some or all of these, and what should I install? There are many different ROMS and Themes. Any recommendations?

[FONT=&quot]These are some of the issues am having with Froyo:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1) Battery life reduced[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2) Phone seems to restart (randomly)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3) Touch screen does not register correctly[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4) YouTube widget never displays any video (always loading)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5) Screen scroll lags from time to time[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Ringtone -> vibrate -> silent issue [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]7) LED doesn't light up like it used for alerts. Mostly when docked.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]8) Swiping between home screens is working only after the second attempt when waking up the phone. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]9) Less signal bars. Used to have full signal almost everywhere, now almost NEVER have full signal. Typical is 2-3 bars. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]10) When docking the phone, I have to swipe to unlock. Before the update I simply put the phone in the dock and it unlocked itself.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]11) Connects to WIFI fine, but when switching back to 3G the phone intermittently turns off both WIFI and 3G. Only way I’ve found to fix this is to restart the phone.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks Guys![/FONT]
  2. EbE404

EbE404 New Member

Well, the best answer I can give is "maybe" since I never had any of those issues and have been rooted for a while.

One question I would have first however (and this is independent of the rooting issue) is if you are running any kind of Task Killer, and if so, does removing it help? Froyo really seems to dislike these, so that may be a root cause of at least some of these issues.

The current batch or ROMs will be based on Froyo, however rooting would give you the option to switch between rooted stock and custom ROMs. However, it would probably be a good idea to see if there are some quick answers (like the Task killer) to your problems to avoid creating more issues if you start playing with ROMs.
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

For just about every issue you listed there is either a logical explanation or a fix for it.

But it's my experience when someone makes up their mind that it's a bad update there is no changing it.

So sure, give rooting a try. Let's get you over to the hacking section.
  4. yago20

yago20 New Member

EbE404 - No, I am not using a task killer or anything like that. I could list everything in my phone as it is not that long of a list if it would help.

hookbill - Perhaps rooting the phone to try and get rid of these issues is jumping the gun. My reasons for rooting are simple. I've always had that "itch" to root and try something new since joining this forum. I was held back from it because of the voided warranty situation it causes. I figured I'd wait until the warranty is up and do it then. I didn't have any of these problems until the day I received the update. I don't often download any new apps to my phone. The only recent think on my phone is the update to 2.2 FRG01B.

Thank you both for your quick answers!
  5. yago20

yago20 New Member

I have now deleted all downloaded content from my phone. I'll keep it like this for a bit and see if any of the problems go away. I forgot to mention the issue that Facebook frequently has a "no content" error, but I think that is a facebook app issue and not an issue with my phone. Thanks again guys for the support!
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Indeed, that is a facebook app problem, I've seen that, too.