1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Considering not updating any further until a viable 2.1 launcher comes out, you?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Anyone else that feels that ROMs have sort of hit the end of the line until a decent 2.1 launcher comes out? I've tried 2.1 ROMs, and the ones that I have had I haven't noticed any difference between them and 2.0.1 (granted I have been home sort of "out of the loop" while my mom is in the hospital for several weeks).

All I really care about at this point is is the browser and phone button on the launcher as it frees up an icon spot on my desktop and makes my browser more accessible instead of going through an app folder.

Live wallpapers are cool for 5 minutes then they are worthless and lag the phone (from my experience thus far).

Just wondering if I am missing something here.
  2. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Just use GDE then. You got a point about updating to 2.1 ROMS. There isn't really any difference. It's just that the devs are all going away from 2.01 and moving to 2.1. As for me I have to try almost every ROM out just to see what it offers.
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I have tried most of them simply because I like to do so as well. I have Nandroid backups of every single ROM on my SD card in case I get bored.

But as for GDE...two things:

1) I can't use it unless someone can tell me how to get rid of that goddamned icon bounce they have on the home screen. I don't want to see the icon bounce every time I click it. I started a thread about it and got like no responses....come to think of it, perhaps I'll bump that thread again. I emailed the developer but never got a response.

2) If GDE can make a goddamned launcher that looks like the 2.1 with *almost* no problems, why is it so hard for us to get a viable 2.1 launcher like it?
  4. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I'm pretty much giving up on the rat race too. I just want a working launcher.
  5. RoLa

RoLa New Member

Agreed, I tried three 2.1 roms, two of which were ERE, I did notice the speed in the beginning, and then it just kind of died off for me. Wireless tether wasn't working at the time and I had a little searching and modding to do to actually get it to work( not that I mind:)), I will keep Petes BB on the Droid because I am so fond of his work and I know it will be great when updates start rollin in. I honestly wouldn't mind going back to 7.5:)
  6. CoyG

CoyG New Member

I have the launcher with the phone and browser and it works pretty well. it might randomly reboot, but it hardly ever happens so i can live with it when it does. I can take a screen capture if necessary.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  7. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Define how often it reboots.
  8. CoyG

CoyG New Member

I installed it on wednesday and its rebooted once from then to now. i also haven't had a single FC.
  9. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

Personally I went back to stock, installed all the 2.1 apps that are now ported over along with the 2.1 launcher....

I did this 24 hours ago.

My reaction.... no issues at all, everything works great and fast. No f/c with anything and the best thing is my battery is 70% after a full day at the office. Normally it's about 30% by now.

I was overclocked and using DM Rom 1.0 and also 2.0.6 as the latest.
  10. CoyG

CoyG New Member

do you use your phone at all while at work? with my phone OCed and running droidmod i can run my phone smoothly for about 15 hours with medium use.
  11. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

Yes, I was in the office today so it was not a full day of talking on it of course... but I have had it since release day and have been using sholes since the second version and recently DM.

It's just something that I was used too in charging on the way home from work so I would have enough juice to play a few games with my daughter at night when I lay down with her to bed lol but tonight for the first time in months it was still at 70%... after 11 hours off the charger, which has never happened.
  12. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I've got Greek's latest beta launcher. No FCs or reboots at all. The text occasionally f's up, but its as easy as restarting the launcher to fix.
  13. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

can you just install it via the apk?
  14. CoyG

CoyG New Member

I can't be certain, but i believe the one I'm using is from greek. I can't for the life of me remember where i got the download from. At any rate..I've played with other 2.1 launchers and the one I'm using is by far the best and most stable one I've used so far.
  15. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

The one I'm using you can, on an unrooted phone also.

after 24 hours no problems at all yet. also it doesn't auto rotate with a non rooted phone so there are no issues in lanscape as it stays portrait.
  16. adrynalyne

Nope. (10 char)
  17. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

link to the apk?
  18. adrynalyne

None of them do. The only time they rotate is if you open the keyboard, in which case, all of the 2.1 launchers do that.
  19. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Could you please pull and post the .apk for us?
  20. adrynalyne