Considering going from Droid on VZW to Evo 4G on Sprint.. anyone here made this move?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Verizon 4G is going live very soon if it's not live already, just with limited coverage. Sprint 4G is more like 3.5G as the speeds are extremely sub-par compared to what Verizon is rolling out now. They're just first. First isn't always best, nor is the latest the greatest.

The Evo is an awesome phone, but the ones due out from VZW next year are going to better, so Sprint will counter with another (singular, as in one) amazing phone.

Sprint has a lot of coverage in a lot of areas with reciprocal deals with the other major carriers and rental/lease agreements with 3rd party providers. That means a lot of their coverage is with VERY antiquated and underpowered equipment, or is considered second-tier priority, so it gets shunted aside for primary/first-tier priority customers. The net result is lost calls, roaming charges, and much slower data rates.

Make sure you're in a Sprint-primary area and that they have their version of 4G in your locale, otherwise you will love your phone and hate your carrier again.

B

bthomp21

4g on sprint

mapdatawimaxUS.gif

Can you give me the link to the source of that map. Because if all that area in orange is 4G I don't believe it. There is no way they could implement 4G coverage that large in such a short time.

The orange is 3G coverage and the dots are 4G -

4g on sprint

mapdatawimaxUS.gif

Can you give me the link to the source of that map. Because if all that area in orange is 4G I don't believe it. There is no way they could implement 4G coverage that large in such a short time.

Is the blue possibly the 4g cities?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

yeah blue dots are 4g, orange is 3g

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?ECID=vanity:coverage

then click on 4g

Last edited by a moderator:

yahwarrior

Reaction score
I've never had one single issue with my Evo, it's the best phone I've ever owned. My Droids(1&2) all experience lag but the Evo has never slowed down on me yet. My advice would be to hold out on getting one however because the new Evo Shift 4g(dual core) will be available soon enough.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Never really had an issue with either provider that we've used other than on VZW it's a ROYAL PITA when you're using your mobile phone to navigate somewhere and you have to take a call. Score one for T-Mobile there I guess.

Thats the difference between CDMA(Verizon) and GSM(T-Mobile).
CDMA cannot and never has been able to do voice and data at the same time.
LTE fixes that problem.

HamDog

Reaction score
I have the original Droid, rooted an over clocked. My girlfriend just got the EVO a couple of months ago. If coverage isn't an issue, the EVO BLOWS AWAY THE DROID! Specially after the Froyo 2.2 update. The lag is ridiculous on the Droid. On her phone, everything runs smoother than mine. We live in Los Angeles and have great coverage with both, and neither of us travels, so coverage isn't an issue. This lag problem, specially on coming back to the home screen, has really ruined the original Droid experience. And no work around has truly worked.

Her 4g connection is awesome. She pays the $30/month tethering charge and dumped her home DSL. Unlike Verizon, Sprint's tethering is unlimited data when on 4g. But battery usage is EXTREMELY high. This is specially true if you leave 4g on while going into a 3g area as the phone keeps searching for 4g which kills the battery quickly. She usually leaves her phone on 3g until she gets home. Then she plugs it in to charge and turns on 4g for internet at home.

However, I wouldn't change at this point. Too many things happening to get locked into a 2-year contract. I'm gonna wait till the end 1st quarter of 2011 to see what Verizon has up it's sleeves and see their pricing plans. I would also like to dump my home DSL if I can get a Verizon unlimited tethering deal like Sprint.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I would also like to dump my home DSL if I can get a Verizon unlimited tethering deal like Sprint.

:r_c::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup:

That? Never going to happen.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
To fix your lag issue, have you tried this fix?

Credit to samsonite801
If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal,
type su and enter.
Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter.
Then reboot.
Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag.

If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/
local.prop

HamDog

Reaction score
To fix your lag issue, have you tried this fix?

Yup, tried that about one or two months ago. It worked and I gave it high praises on it's thread. But then I noticed it was screwing up other things. Once in a while, some of my icons would turn into a "generic" icon. Lags started happening in other places. For example, in Angry birds, there are times when the birds just don't fly smoothly across the screen. When going through my thousands of mp3's, it hiccups quite a bit.

First, I couldn't figure out why all these new issues were happening. So I reversed the fix (by removing that one file) and my phone was back to normal. After several weeks, all my icons had kept their shape. Angry birds was running smooth like before. But the home screen lag came back big time.

To test one more time, I did the fix again. Sure enough, home screen lag is fixed, but all the previous issues returned. Icon's losing their original design, lagging everywhere else.

I think that fix just takes away the memory needed for other programs to run smoothly and gives it to the home screen so it's available quickly.

aldeghij

Reaction score
Yeah try that redraw hack mentioned earlier.... also, try the ultimate droid 2.3 rom or 2.4 scheduled to come out sometime this evening if u haven't already. Performance is right on par w the evo IMO. Very snappy.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I've noticed that any icons that go generic on me are on the SD card.

Really sucks the D1 has such limited RAM, but that's the way things fell. Have you tried compcache? It really helps, though some people say it slows their devices down (the ones that refuse to reboot except once a week).

HamDog

Reaction score
I've noticed that any icons that go generic on me are on the SD card.

Really sucks the D1 has such limited RAM, but that's the way things fell. Have you tried compcache? It really helps, though some people say it slows their devices down (the ones that refuse to reboot except once a week).

I agree completely. Droid is the first generation and one year old. As much as I love it and had great fun using it, gotta face the facts that technology changes very rapidly and we're seeing the limitations of our Droids. I haven't tried any ROMS or custom kernels as I never saw a consensus in any of them fixing the issues. Some people claim it does and other say it doesn't.

I'm just waiting till the end of first quarter 2011 to make my next phone move. Until then, I can live with the lag. But it doesn't mean I can't be envious of my girlfriend's EVO! :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Cyanogenmod 6.1. Settings, cyanogenmod settings, performance settings, lock home in memory. I get one redraw about every ten days, and it's usually my fault. :)

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.