Considering going from Droid on VZW to Evo 4G on Sprint.. anyone here made this move?

harrellj

Reaction score
One head's up, if one of your complaints is the inability to call and text at the same time (or call and use data at the same time), Sprint will NOT fix that issue. They are also CDMA (as is VZW), and the nature of CDMA is to not allow those 2 things simultaneously. If that is an absolute requirement for you, then GSM is the way to go (AT&T or T-Mo or find a regional carrier).

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Don't forget when the vzw 4g phones come out you will be able to talk and use data together. Or so is my understanding.

Sent from my DROID running UD2.1 @ 1Ghz

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
tp76,

NO Droid, NONE, blows the Evo out of the water. The Evo is th best phone on the market right now, no question.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
One head's up, if one of your complaints is the inability to call and text at the same time (or call and use data at the same time), Sprint will NOT fix that issue. They are also CDMA (as is VZW), and the nature of CDMA is to not allow those 2 things simultaneously. If that is an absolute requirement for you, then GSM is the way to go (AT&T or T-Mo or find a regional carrier).

That's the helpful kind of info I'm looking for. Forgot that Sprint was also in that boat but not really a deal breaker since it's what we have now anyway.

Don't forget when the vzw 4g phones come out you will be able to talk and use data together. Or so is my understanding.

Sent from my DROID running UD2.1 @ 1Ghz

Again, not here and details aren't specific. I'm wanting to know what's here NOW and what I can use NOW. I'm getting too old to wait around years for stuff that corporations promise. I've played that game far too many times already and refuse to be a captive customer to promises since that's exactly what their trying to do. They also don't care you as a customer beyond your dollar and could care less how long you've been with them. So, since they don't value me as a customer beyond what I'm giving them right now I've decided to do the same. I will spend my money with whomever can give me the most for my dollar NOW, not promise me the most in the future. With this in mind I think that Sprint can offer me more for less right now. Who knows, maybe in a year or two I'm back with VZW or T-Mobile or whoever offers me the most then.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sprint is awful. If you have any need for national coverage going to Sprint will be a mistake. If it works well in your area, then you might be fine. Heck, there actually are people in this world who get better coverage from Sprint or AT&T around their house.

Just understand Spring is a distant 3rd (4th?) for service quality compared to the others and VZW's LTE will be out very soon and likely very superior to Sprint's. I understand your point about being strung along, but handsets will be out sometime between February and May, I'd bet on it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would be with Sprint if they offered service in my area. The EVO is bad ass.
+1. No reception or I'd have BEEN gone
Verizon customer service has really gone down in the last year and a half so that's not an issue for me anymore, just reception

Support Our Troops!! UltraKeyboarded from a wifi monolith.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
Sprint is awful. If you have any need for national coverage going to Sprint will be a mistake. If it works well in your area, then you might be fine. Heck, there actually are people in this world who get better coverage from Sprint or AT&T around their house.

Just understand Spring is a distant 3rd (4th?) for service quality compared to the others and VZW's LTE will be out very soon and likely very superior to Sprint's. I understand your point about being strung along, but handsets will be out sometime between February and May, I'd bet on it.

I have friends nationwide with Sprint who love it. I also have friends nationwide that have VZW that hate it. We had T-Mobile for 7yrs and were quite content with our coverage and do actually travel quite a bit. We travel two to three times per year within the country to larger cities in the US where we spend a week or two. Never really had an issue with either provider that we've used other than on VZW it's a ROYAL PITA when you're using your mobile phone to navigate somewhere and you have to take a call. Score one for T-Mobile there I guess. I think that debate is pretty subjective but I will admit that I like when I'm out in the sticks of Colorado/Wyoming/Nebraska shooting and have coverage including data & 3G. Then again, when I'm shooting do I really need coverage? (knocks on wood that no emergencies arise where I DO need coverage).

As to the LTE coming I've been hearing this since we signed and I have to say it feels a LOT like when we were with T-Mobile and waited and waited for our area to have coverage and for good devices to be offered at an affordable price. We don't yet know what 4G phones will cost with VZW or what the rate plans will run. It's safe to say that it will likely be an additional $10 per month per line (possibly more) which means we would be paying $70 more every month for two lines w/Sprint based on what we can get today. If they go up from there then it's even more than that. Keep in mind this is all guestimations at this time and part of the reason I'm considering Sprint. Not only do I save $50 every month on two lines right now but I'm using an Evo 4G and have 4G coverage right now.

This is why I wanted some details about Sprint 4G as well as the Evo 4G as they seem like a pretty solid combo.

harrellj

Reaction score
One mention, VZW has announced their rates for LTE (granted, not phone rates but phone rates vs modem rates are quite similar). This announcement was just last Wednesday. Verizon's LTE Pricing May Trigger 4G Rate War - PCWorld Business Center is an article on it. Another one is at Macworld: http://www.macworld.com/article/156115/2010/12/verizon_lte.html The pertinent points:
n addition to the $50 plan with a 5GB cap, there will be an $80 plan with a 10GB cap. Additional data use beyond those caps will cost $10 per gigabyte. Both devices that Verizon described during the announcement, both of which will be USB modems, are being offered with contracts. As with its 3G data plans, customers will be able to buy the LG modem for the full retail price of $249.99 and then pay the regular per-month rate without committing to a two-year contract, spokeswoman Brenda Raney said.

I don't want to push you since you are obviously unhappy with VZW, but I want to make sure you have all the information available. Phone information will likely be given out during CES next month, including which models will be LTE-compatible. Also (of course), are you in an area that will get LTE fast or slow? Slow means not til 2013, fast means maybe today. Definitely look at coverage maps and see if you can get down to street level.

Last edited:

Big Ry

Reaction score
Its my understanding that LTE is already out and active...there's just no 4G phones yet. But I believe there's 4G USB modems available now. Don't quote me on that, just what I've heard here and on VZW commercials. Reports say 4G phones should be out in Jan/Feb 2011. And so far, leaked info on device releases here has been pretty accurate since I started following them last spring. Rumor has it the LTE is boat loads faster than sprint's 4G, so IMO I'd wait a few months.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
Definitely look at coverage maps and see if you can get down to street level.

I would like to look at a map of current LTE for the front range of Colorado but can't seem to find one that isn't 'projected for the end of next year' which does me no good now. It would certainly add to the facts for decision making. I guess another factor is that the economy isn't getting better so saving $50+ every month starting now is also a nice benefit. Our current bill is already as much as I would like to pay and I don't like the idea of paying even more and getting even less (if they cap overall bandwidth per month) to get 4G/LTE. From the sounds of it LTE will push our monthly bill up even higher.

kenbiz

Reaction score
Here In Upstate ny sprints so called 4g seems like a waste to me. My buddy has the.evo and everytime I call him the reception is horrible. Once Verizon 4g is up and running on cell phones Sprints gonna have some catching up to do. Plus you have to pay for the 4g even if its not available in your area??!! What's that about Sprint??