Considering going from Droid on VZW to Evo 4G on Sprint.. anyone here made this move?

Jer

Reaction score
We currently have Droids and have been happy with them but the Evo 4G seems to have everything we're missing from our Droids. On top of that we can save $50+ every month on our bill over what we're currently paying and that includes more airtime, more features and 4G. My Droid is rooted and overclocked and my wife's is bone stock running Froyo. I'm wondering how we will like this transition and if there's anything we should know. I realize it's a step down in nationwide coverage but prior to moving to VZW we had T-Mobile and the coverage was sufficient and Sprint is very similar, especially in our area. My concern is with the 4G itself and how it affects battery life and how it performs overall. I messed with some of the Evo 4G's at the store including a couple employees personal phones and the speeds were a nice increase over 3G. My concern however is it's affect on battery life as the employees all had their 4G turned off and had to enable it. He said it really affects battery life so if a salesman is telling me that then it must REALLY affect battery life. Seems if that's a big reason for the move it wouldn't make sense to move and pay an extra $10 per line for 4G if we had it disabled. The Evo 4G itself seems like a very nice phone and I'm sure we'll like it as well. Seems that a little larger is about the only negative but the positives far outweigh this.

So, thoughts? Looking for someone who has made this move or someone who has weighed pros & cons in making the move and really don't want people speculating or fanboying because I have no ties to anyone other than Android here.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would be with Sprint if they offered service in my area. The EVO is bad ass.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you better look at a map of just how much "4G" coverage Sprint is actually offering.

B

bthomp21

4g on sprint

mapdatawimaxUS.gif

Reaction score
Personally i think going with sprint wouldnt be a good idea since verizon is rumored to have a phone coming out that is going to be 4G and be very similar to the EVO 4G. And sprints 4G has been out for awhile now and they still dont have great 4G coverage while verizon is just coming out with it and theyre supposed to have full coverage in a year or two. So personally i wouldnt switch but if you really want that phone and to save some money you could do it but there is a reason it is cheaper.

pyro6128

Reaction score
It really depends on your area. I have a friend that had sprint in the nyc/yonkers/ct area, and a lot of times I'd call him and get "Please wait while we try to locate the subscriber", or it wouldn't connect at all and go straight to voice-mail. He's since left sprint and those problems have yet to occur again.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sprint 4G isn't available everywhere, but where there's no 4G, they have 3G. Sprint is money in big cities.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a (stock) EVO and my Rooted Original Droid blows it out of the water - he would agree 100%

harrellj

Reaction score
I know LTE is not even rolling out yet on VZW and may not even hit all of the initial roll-out areas right away, but VZW's version of 4G is faster than Sprint's.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
4g on sprint

mapdatawimaxUS.gif

Can you give me the link to the source of that map. Because if all that area in orange is 4G I don't believe it. There is no way they could implement 4G coverage that large in such a short time.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The orange is 3G coverage and the dots are 4G -

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
I can tell you that that map isn't accurate to Sprint's 4G coverage if it's just the dots because there isn't a single blue dot in Colorado and there's 4G up and down the front range. It's even in Fort Collins which is a MUCH smaller market than Denver which isn't even indicated on the map.

As for waiting, I get REAL tired of waiting on vaporware. We had T-Mobile for about 7yrs before coming to VZW and I can't tell you how sick I got of being told to just wait a little longer for 3G coverage when all my friends had it for years with other providers. I also am taking a bit of personal issue with the way VZW lied to us to get our business when we signed up. We were promised a service discount which we never got and I have called and called and have already wasted enough of my life trying to get what was promised us up front. Now we're in contract and nobody cars. Customer service with VZW is just awful and I'm not happy about that in the least. There's also a side issue where lots of people were being allowed early upgrades and we didn't get the flier for some reason, guess we didn't make the random list. I called several times because my wife and I had Droids from launch and wanted Droid X's. Nobody would do a single thing about it during several phone calls which strikes me as odd since several customers in pretty much the same situation as us were offered w/o even asking. I realize this is hit or miss so I didn't hold this against them until I got a flier in the mail myself a couple months later not only offering me what I was asking for earlier but now it was an even better deal since it's buy one get one free. I know some will say to just take what is offered but to me that's not very good customer service. Those things coupled with the fact that we pay over $50 more every single month and I can't even all and use data at the same time are all the reasons why we're considering the move. I really didn't want to get into all of this because I don't want to turn it into a debate as to if we should or not but more a post to discuss Sprint specifically since I'm well aware of what VZW has and what they have on the way and am more looking for details on Sprint and specifics from those who are using them.

If you're happy with VZW, good. I'm happy for you and I don't even mean to sound condescending when I type that because with so many people who are unhappy with their phones it's tough to find what works best for you. VZW works for us, I just don't know that it's best for us if that makes sense. I'm also sick of waiting for vaporware that may come someday when what I want is already available elsewhere.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you're looking for advice from sprint users this isn't really the best place since the forum is predominantly Verizon android users.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App