Considering Droid

whiskeyguy

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but it seemed like the best place to post this. I currently have the EnV Touch, which is an alright phone, and as far as ease of use I love it. However, I really want a phone with Apps, and the EnV has maybe 12 available and most are not free. I understand the added cost to my monthly plan associated with the Droid, and that's not an issue. Basically I am trying to decide if people are satisfied with the Droid, and if I should buy one now or wait until more phones are available.

First of all, I will probably never buy a phone without a physical qwerty keyboard. I simply love the option, and do most of my texting this way. Now the EnV Touch has a great one, the keys have good spacing and the button placement is awesome. How is the physical qwerty keyboard on the Droid? I've heard it is a little difficult to use.

And secondly, are there any major issues that would justify waiting until perhaps an updated model comes out? Thanks for your input.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
The majority of people dont seem to like the keyboard. Of all the reviews Ive read or heard that is almost a universal complaint. Of course you will have people here saying they love it and have no problem with it, but I dare say they are the small minority.

There are several Android units on the horizon that will be released in the near future. Its basically a matter of do you want it now or do you want to wait to see what the newest phone will be like. Thats like anything, the second you buy it something better in just around the corner and you smack yourself in the head for not waiting.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Welcome, I use the keyboard maybe twice a week....onscreen one rocks.

And why wait, there is always something "right around the corner" you'll be waiting forever.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I traded up from an Eris to the Droid because I didn't like the virtual keyboard on the Eris and wanted a physical one as an option. I came from a Samsung Impression so I was used to having a physical board. Well I already knew before trading up that the keyboard on the Droid was really hard to work with (for me) and figured I would get used to it. After just a day I found that the added screen size made the Droid's virtual keyboard a dream. I didn't even bother trying to get used to the pull out. I do try to use it for texting and web from time to time but find myself going back to the virtual board every time.

Go demo one for yourself. Stand there and play with it for an hour or more if you have to. No sense in regrets.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I I do try to use it for texting and web from time to time but find myself going back to the virtual board every time.

Me too. Keep thinking "if I use it enough I might get better at typing with it" but no dice. I get way too many typos so I just do right back to virtual keyboard.

OP
W

whiskeyguy

Reaction score
That might be a deal breaker because I really depend on the physical keyboard on my Touch... but I am really sick of no App support. I do have another question, VZW has two data plans, the unlimited data and the web + email, which is $15 less. Is the cheaper plan ($30 a month) sufficient for app + email + web browsing?

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
If you are very reliant on the physical keyboard you might want to take a pass on this phone. There will certainly be better keyboards on future units. Best thing is to do as suggested. Go to a store and play with it. Stand there and just type for a long time to see how you like it.

The $30 data plan is all you will need. I have no idea what the $45 data plan is for. Think its for business users (exchange) or something.

OP
W

whiskeyguy

Reaction score
Based on my research it doesn't look like there will be another Android phone with a qwerty keyboard until Summer at least, so maybe I will go in and see how well the touchscreen keyboard works. Thanks for the advice.

Mercuie

Reaction score
If you have smaller hands like i do the qwerty isn't so bad. Its no TP2, but i speed through it just fine. Everyday i get faster at it. So if you have small hands it might be okay for you. Just keep your finger nails cut. If i let mine get a little long typing becomes harder, then again so does using the phone in general being its not pressure sensitive screen.

Droid, keeping finger nails clipped one hand at a time!

vonfink13

Reaction score
i use the physical keyboard almost exclusively and i found it took me about a day to get used to it and another day to get fast on it...one of my major reasons for choosing the droid was because it has a keyboard....i know i am the minority..but... i love the thing...

OP
W

whiskeyguy

Reaction score
I have pretty large hands but I'll give it a shot. Like I said the EnV Touch's qwerty is amazing. The way I see it is I either buy the Droid and deal with the bad keyboard or I wait 6 months (or more) for a phone that can handle apps.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
while in not very quick on the physical keyboard, i do like using it... especially when the virtual takes so much of the screen up

zakany

Reaction score
I use all three keyboards at different times for different tasks. If you're considering this phone, there's no excuse to not grab one in a store and start playing with it. Try the keyboards. Search the web. Scan the barcode and see where you can buy the phone cheaper (heh).

Don't buy it just because it's popular right now. There is always something better soon enough. Always. If you do like it and it fits your needs, buy it with no regrets.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Basically I am trying to decide if people are satisfied with the Droid, and if I should buy one now or wait until more phones are available.
There are people that are satisfied with the Droid and there are people that aren't satisfied with the Droid (refer to the various threads here). None of that really matters. You need to determine if the Droid suits you. How well it does or doesn't suit other people isn't relevant unless you understand their needs/wants in relation to yours. Have you tried the Droid out in person?

First of all, I will probably never buy a phone without a physical qwerty keyboard. I simply love the option, and do most of my texting this way.
You should check out Swype as well.

How is the physical qwerty keyboard on the Droid? I've heard it is a little difficult to use.
So you haven't tried it out. Go out and do so ASAP. It's a subjective matter. I have no problems with it but I don't use it very much. YMMV.

And secondly, are there any major issues that would justify waiting until perhaps an updated model comes out? Thanks for your input.
That's a very subjective question. It depends on who you talk to. You'd need to clearly define what constitutes "major issues that would justify waiting". As I said, some people are very happy with the Droid and others aren't. Not everyone has the same needs/wants. Without clarifying yours you're just going to get fanboy responses.

OP
W

whiskeyguy

Reaction score
I have messed with the phone a little and the qwerty was a little difficult to use... I just wanted to know if it gets easier. It's pretty much the only thing I am hesitant about regarding this phone. I read reviews and I guess the Navigation and Music programs could use work, but that's not dependent on hardware so I'm not too worried about that.