1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

considering an S4

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S4' started by trizzypballr, Sep 4, 2013.

1. trizzypballr

trizzypballr New Member

I've really been considering an S4, but I've read quite a few people complaining about reception and 4g issues now? Can anyone shed some light on this please?
  2. biggdave92

biggdave92 New Member

I came from a RAZR maxx and have no problems here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
  3. GVLBob

GVLBob Member

No problems here.

One thing you could do is to take your current phone to your carrier's store and compare its signal strength (in dB) to the S4. If you're happy with the performance of your current phone and the S4 provides equal or better signal strength, you can be confident in upgrading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  4. jtcsifl

jtcsifl New Member

I haven't had any problems with my S4 reception but, IF I were in a position for a new device now I would hold off till later this month after looking at the LG G2...
  5. dezymond

dezymond RS Lead Premium Member

Had mine since early July and not a single issue. 4g is always fast and I always have a strong signal.
  6. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

I've been trying out a Droid Maxx alongside my S4, and the S4's reception has been on par with it. Actually it's gotten slightly better LTE reception, but slightly worse voice reception - but negligible both ways - I would consider them the same. Keeping in mind I live in an area with strong signal...

I think the users complaining about weak S4 reception fall into categories:

#1 - They believe the overhyped FUD that Samsung still makes weak radios.

#2 - They already live in a "fringe" area where signal is iffy at times anyway.

#3 - Add #1 to #2 and you get a self-fulfilling prophecy of #1.

And there is SO much factoring into signal these days that's constantly changing and moving - it's almost impossible to get a true apples to apples comparison.

"My S4 at my house dropped to 3G a few times last week. My Razr Maxx that I've had for 2 days has been full 4G bars the whole time. See, Moto radios kick #@$, Samsung has weak radios!"

That type of stuff... I'm not saying Samsung has never made weak radios or that Moto doesn't make solid radios - but they get WAY overhyped on both ends of the spectrum.
  7. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

While I generally agree jntdroid, I will remind you that coming from a Motorola Droid and Droid 3, going to a Galaxy Nexus was a sore disappointment. The radios weren't even in the same country. Phone calls cut off, and I couldn't even get 3G some places.

Motorola has been making radios for cell and CB for many years, more than Samsung and most other OEMs. When you have this type experience and when I have a poor experience, crossing over to the other company is difficult at best.

Sure there are whiners (look at me! :p) but overall, they may be folks that got had on a GNex. I sure did. (As I type this on a Note2 ;) )

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  8. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

Oh trust me, I understand... I had a Gnex and it was the worst thing ever. I've never dropped any call on Verizon except when I had the Gnex. But it ain't fair to Samsung to take the Gnex and assume similar radio quality among other devices! I don't see people doing that with the Bionic to Motorola!

*insert "The Bionic was just a software problem!" comments here*

:tongue:

You'll have to forgive me if I sounded a bit dogmatic, I tend to do that. ;)
  9. dezymond

I never dropped a call when I had my Gnex, but I do live in a strong signal area. However, as a former Gnex owner, I didn't know how much quality signal I was missing out on either. I'm getting strong 4g signals with my s4 in the same areas where I had maybe 2bar with 4g on my Gnex. Heck I'm getting 4g signal in the mountains with my s4 where I never got more than a bar without data on my Nexus.
  10. NOVICE

NOVICE New Member

No question the Galaxy Nexus supported the belief that Samsung supplied inferior radios. Further, when I bought the GNexus shortly after launch I was sorely disappointed when, in programming a friend's DROID something, I saw how laggy my supposed super phone was.

But the S3 and Note 2 had great radios and responsive handling.

Has anyone encountered the supposed S4 lag? Does it exist?
  11. dezymond

I have ran into what I call "typical Android" slowdown, where the screen sorta "ghosts" when scrolling, especially in the app drawer. Every device I've used (mine or not) has had it at one point and a restart cured it. Otherwise no real lag on the s4 that I've seen.
  12. Dalvik_Cache

Dalvik_Cache Super Moderator Premium Member

I have an S4 and I LOVE it! This phone has amazing battery life, a beautiful display, tons of features, and last but not least, exceptional reception! :p I would recommend it to anyone. As an added bonus it has tons and tons of accessories, including the new S-Watch thats about to release. That is a pretty exciting thing!
  13. alhadee12

alhadee12 New Member

I'm considering the S4 and the Note 2, I've heard the S4 display is dimmer and may be a bit sluggish. I also like what I've seen from the Note 3 and may just wait for the release.
  14. alansolo8

alansolo8 New Member

S4 is good, just that it's a bit expensive.
  15. Dalvik_Cache

Dalvik_Cache Super Moderator Premium Member

Expensive is such a relative term. LOL

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
  16. ajarnfalang

ajarnfalang New Member

Note 2 is the better choice of the 3 at this point. It's a lot cheaper now that the Note 3 is out and the differences between the two are nothing really.
  17. KGreis

KGreis New Member

People also say that the screen cant be seen when outside all you have to do is change it to auto and you can see it perfectly. I had that problem today but luckily Im very aware of where everything is on the pull down screen so I just pulled it down and tapped auto and problem was fixed. Everything people complain about can be fine tuned and fixed
  18. alafferty82081

alafferty82081 New Member

Going to the carrier store does nothing cause all carriers have a booster and you'll always have max reception...but I myself have an s4 and am really pleased with all aspects of the phone...9-10
  19. dezymond

unless full HD is important to you. And after owning the s4 for awhile now, I don't know if I could deal with anything less than now
  20. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

I'd def be comparing note 3 to s4 at this point.

GS4/iPhone5
Search tags for this page

moto x signal strength