Considering a new Droid, but my current one has me questioning it...

Amaru

Reaction score
So two years ago this very month, both my girlfriend and I jumped headfirst into the world of smartphones and both went with Droids. While she opted for the HTC, I got the original Motorola Droid (LOVE the slideout keyboard). However, over the next couple of years, we swapped out our phones for replacements several times. I'm probably on my fourth Droid and they flat out told me last time I swapped it out that they would no longer cover any more replacements and that I'd need to just upgrade/buy a new phone when this one dies. That was this Summer, and this one is already exhibiting the same symptoms my previous Droids did.

It's basically extremely slow. Going from an open app (let's say Facebook) to pushing the Home button greets me with a blank home screen for sometimes up to a minute (if not more). Similarly, pressing the button that displays all the listed apps will show me a black screen for quite a while as the apps "load" (?) and populate the screen. Sometimes I even try scrolling down through my apps and have to wait, as the apps are only at the Gs, let's say, and it's bottomed out while waiting for more to load before being able to keep scrolling. Apps force-close often. Pressing the Google search bar on my home screen will take much longer than it used to before I am able to finally type stuff to search. And so on.

The thing is, being that this has happened on all four Motorola Droids that I've had in my time, it makes me feel like the source of the problems is not necessarily with the Droid, but perhaps with me. I'm not sure if there's a particular app (or apps) I have that kills the phone's reliability. App 2 SD Free is the only thing I could think of that might do this, but it has a 4.5/5 rating and no mention in comments of similar issues.

I'm ready to upgrade my phone, and have seen the Droid 3 model, which I like because it still retains the slide-out keyboard. As far as ones without a slide-out keyboard :)(), I've also been told that the Droid Nexus is good stuff. My girlfriend just upgraded to a Droid Charge I think it is (though it looks huge).

Anyways, I'd like to stick with Droid (NOT an Apple guy here), but I'm worried that I'll encounter the same issues. I'm not sure whether my issues were due to "first-generation Droid" as an excuse (and one that's since been rectified), or something I was doing, in which case I will still end up doing with my next phone.

Thank you to all in advance!