Considering A Driod - A few issues

alanbk

Reaction score
Hello All.

I'm currenlty a Windows Mobile user with an orginal Omina. I've been holding out for a VZW iPhone, but with the advent of no VZW for the iPad, it may be time to drop the iPhone wish and consdier the Droid. I have a few areas of concern:

1. Since I'd be switching from a WM device that works seamlessly with Exchange - Active Sync over the interent, one of my top concerns is seamless interacton with exchange in both directions with the Droid. Is this possible. Calander and contacts are IMPORTANT too.

2. Bluetooth Voice Dialing.
My state is very close to passing law to reqire hands free in the car. Not being able to dial via bluetooth is a big oops.

Does andriod 2.1 support bt dialing?
Is there a 3rd party app that can do this, that works decently?

3. Teathering
Any word on when vzw will have this working?

Issues 1 and 2 are MAJOR importance to me. I know there are work arounds for issue 3, without rooting the phone. If i get the phone I will probably end up rooting it, but not at the start. I have the Omina runnnig WM 6.5 which will never be realased for the Omina.

Thanks,

Alan

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
1. Since I'd be switching from a WM device that works seamlessly with Exchange - Active Sync over the interent, one of my top concerns is seamless interacton with exchange in both directions with the Droid. Is this possible. Calander and contacts are IMPORTANT too.

Droid comes with an app called "Corporate Calendar" which will sync with an exchange account. Can't say how well it works, because I don't use it.

I also don't use BT, so I can't answer those questions, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling for you with a LITTLE bit of info!

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello All.

I'm currenlty a Windows Mobile user with an orginal Omina. I've been holding out for a VZW iPhone, but with the advent of no VZW for the iPad, it may be time to drop the iPhone wish and consdier the Droid. I have a few areas of concern:

My state is very close to passing law to reqire hands free in the car. Not being able to dial via bluetooth is a big oops.

3. Teathering

Issues 1 and 2 are MAJOR importance to me. I know there are work arounds for issue 3, without rooting the phone. If i get the phone I will probably end up rooting it, but not at the start. I have the Omina runnnig WM 6.5 which will never be realased for the Omina.

Thanks,

Alan
1. exchange integration has been about average for people using it. google also has an app that you can download from the marketplace for corporate contacts as well. i've yet to use either in such an envrionment.

for more professional results, people like to use the app, Touchdown, which can be purchased from the marketplace. if exchange integration is important to you, you may want to consider that purchase.

2. for BT voice dialing, the microphone on the phone is strong enough to hear you from distances, but so far i have not seen a fix to enable it on BT. my car has BT dialing, so it's never been an issue for me.

3. vzw will (most likely) never enable/allow tethering from the phone. there are lots of avenues around this, however, but if you're caught tethering without paying for the tethering plan, they will back-charge you.

OP
A

alanbk

Reaction score
Hello All.

3. Teathering

Thanks,

Alan
1. exchange integration has been about average for people using it. google also has an app that you can download from the marketplace for corporate contacts as well. i've yet to use either in such an envrionment.

for more professional results, people like to use the app, Touchdown, which can be purchased from the marketplace. if exchange integration is important to you, you may want to consider that purchase.

2. for BT voice dialing, the microphone on the phone is strong enough to hear you from distances, but so far i have not seen a fix to enable it on BT. my car has BT dialing, so it's never been an issue for me.

3. vzw will (most likely) never enable/allow tethering from the phone. there are lots of avenues around this, however, but if you're caught tethering without paying for the tethering plan, they will back-charge you.

Thanks for the info.

How much is the Touchdown app?

Since your car has BT dialing, does it work with the driod? Do you use it?

I've read on here that VZW has promissed tethering 1st QTR 2010, and paying is not the issue, I pay for it now on the omnia.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

How much is the Touchdown app?

Since your car has BT dialing, does it work with the driod? Do you use it?

I've read on here that VZW has promissed tethering 1st QTR 2010, and paying is not the issue, I pay for it now on the omnia.

i think touchdown is $30, which is a little steep for most marketplace apps, but the benefit with the marketplace is if you don't like it, you can uninstall it within 24hrs and receive a refund.

i use BT dialing in my vehicle everyday. it works without a hitch. my car's navigation has contacts stored in it and i control everything from the that.

jimnutt

Reaction score
I've found I've barely used my bluetooth headset since I got my Droid (came from an HTC Touch Pro). The droid has an awesome speakerphone and the voice search using the internal microphone works very well (just say "call contact name mobile" it will dial their mobile number). And if you connect to the car stereo using the headphone jack, it automatically sets the microphone to speakerphone mode while using the car's speakers. It works remarkably well.

OP
A

alanbk

Reaction score
Ordered the Driod today. We will see.

Thanks for the help everone.