Connecting WiFi hangs at "Obtaining address"

Schopo

Reaction score
Heya guys, first time here.

I've been happily using every function of my Milestone for a few months now including WiFi but about a week ago it suddenly couldn't connect to my WiFi network anymore. It stalls when "Obtaining addres...".

I've tried the following:
- Deactivate/activate wifi using both widget and settings menu
- Forget settings and reënter them
- Restart phone
- Check for updates (none available, already at 2.1-update1)
- Searched the web for similar problems: Found just one (1) similar but not even the same issue
- Solution to above found issue was unmounting the uSD card and retrying, didn't work either.

Since it used to work before and my network configuration nor phone didn't change AFAIK I couldn't find any reason for this problem. I hope you could help me out.

I unfortunately have not had an opportunity to test with different networks yet. Also, I have not yet tried to disable my network security because it should and did work. (will soon try both anyway though, update will follow)

Tnx for any suggestions!

N.B. I have not rooted my phone and have no intentions to, but if a clear solution requires root I will happily crack the bastard.

OP
S

Schopo

Reaction score
Solved

[edit]
Just three days after the hard reset that fixed it, it stopped working again. And a hard reset twice a week is not quite the solution...
This topic is open for an heartly welcoming any ideas once more! Tnx.

Last edited:

debdado

Reaction score
This is happening to me as well. I have two wifi connections at my house. One works flawlessly and the other keeps circling, "connecting" /"obtaining IP address"/"Disconnected." What's up with that? I would really like to be able to fix that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Alta1r

Reaction score
I experience this too from time to time, but usually only lasts a few minutes.

Don't know if it will help but you could try the following, since some are having a corrupt file which is causing wifi problems: turn off wifi, delete /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf, turn on wifi again. You will have to reconnect your wifi networks manually again after this.

Schop

Reaction score
@Alta1r: Are you shure your network is stable? If it works after a few minutes it sounds like there's just a microwave interfering or something like that.

Judging from debdado's reply I think our problem is quite the same. I too have two routers in this house, though one has no wireless and so I have just one wireless network. The wireless device is a Buffalo Airstation and it seems to couse similar unexplainable issues with other devices too.

Recently a new wireless router came in and it works just fine though a few days is short to call it a definitive success. Anyway, to me, seems to be in either the two-router setup or in the Buffalo Airstation malfunctioning.

Lastly, if you do have a Buffalo, you might try disabling the framebursting option. I have not tested that at all as it just springs to mind but it might be that the droid/milestone doesn't fuly support it and fails from time to time...?

debdado

Reaction score
I contacted AT&T (faulty internet provider) and they helped me to reset channel, etc. Since then it has been working. Had to do with channel interference. My current problem sold.:)

quik0001

Reaction score
I was having similar troubles with my linksys home router. Just updated the firmware on the router and fixed it

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using DroidForums App

Alta1r

Reaction score
Yes, my network is stable. I connect 2 other pc's at the same time with no problem. Though I could have some issues due to other networks in the neighbourhood, when this happens I change to a better channel.

I think the phone hanging on 'obtaining IP address' only happend 3 times, and maybe 1 time it took 2-3 minutes to connect, so can't really say i have the same problem as you.

Did you remove the file i mentioned before? (YOu need root for that, forgot to mention this before)

CharleneM

Reaction score
Reset WiFi??

Where/How do I find the /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf file to delete it?

Alta1r

Reaction score
With an app called Root Explorer.

But you will need a rooted phone to be able to delete it.

Techrecycler

Reaction score
Dang WiFi issues...

I deleted the file above using root explorer, re-activated WiFi, & reset my network password. Didn't work for me...uugh!

Sick of this issue already. I guess plenty of others around the net with Droid and Droid X and potentially other models/brands are having this issue on 2.2 w/ quite a few different routers. I read somewhere that google seems to know there was a problem in the code from 2.1 and on, and has yet to fix it. Hopefully if no one can find a patch, 2.3 will arrive soon w/ a fix.

I am currently running Project Elite 4.2 btw.

And yes, I have tried various firmwares on my WNR2000 as well.

Any other ideas/patches anyone? I needz me WiFi :icon_ nono2: