Connecting to my home network, while I am away... Is it possible?

Reaction score
I will try to explain what I want to do in the best way that I can if you promise to tell me the answers I need, deal? :)

I will be away from home for a week and while I am gone, I want to be able to connect my Droid 2 to my home network. I don't necessarily mean I want to remote desktop in, I mean I want my phone to be connected to the router as in the same fashion as if I was at home, assigning my phone an IP address.

For example, I can control my Samsung TV with the remote control app when I am home and while I am connected to my home internet, I want to be able to do that while I am not at home.

If this is at all possible, please throw a few ideas my way, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks. :)

bhmhrex

Reaction score
Not with your phone. Your router can only emit a signal so far. You could do it across the street most likely, but not hundreds of miles away. I am sure there are apps out there that you could install a program onto your computer and then on your phone and control your items in your household from your phone, while leaving the computer on.

xan

Reaction score
I believe VPN will do that you have the ISP and network hardware to support it.

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
Well my router doesn't support it, but I can instead remote desktop in and control things that way to pretty much the same effect.

And why would I want to do this? Because I am a geek, and this is what geeks do. :p

Snow02

Reaction score
Why would you want to control your tv if you're not home? I fail to see the point. I was just curious as to your motivation.

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
I think for one, it would be a great practical joke on a babysitter, haha.

But my main thought was, while my family and I are away, it might be a clever idea to maybe a few times in the evenings to turn the TV on to give off the impression that someone is home. I can't say I live in a bad neighborhood, but nevertheless, I don't want to take the risk.

Idk, seems like a decent thought to me.

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
Thanx ftajeffery, I am using a free RDP lite software that lets my connect to my desktop at home that allows me to control things that way. It is not exactly what I was going for, I was more wanting to get behind my router and become apart of my home network, ie. getting assigned my own IP. But this other method will most likely work just as well.

babbock

Reaction score
depending on the OS of your home computer, you might be able to VPN into it(xp pro, and i think vista/7 pro/business support it). You also might be able to get a cheap used PIX or something off ebay. The problem with VPN is that, while it does put you "behind" your router on your network, usually it ends up being a seperate subnet, so if your apps do not support routing(some apps either will not route outside the subnet, or work only on broadcast), then you might have issues. Also, if your PC does the VPN and not your edge router, you may have to make some changes.

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
My router does not support VPN, though it does support pass thru to a PC for VPN. I did set it up and connected fine, but not the results I was looking for.

pbz

Reaction score
apps like LogMeIn Ignition

Hey, I've used LogMeIn to remotely connect to my desktop and it worked fine. They make a product to do the same from an android phone, but they charge $30. Kind of pricey!!!
When you check it out on the market or AppBrain.com there are similar apps listed, so maybe you'll find something that way.
Would love to hear one that works and is free!
I just noticed Teamviewer put one out for free! I'll have to try it! I've used them a lot to connect to my desktop or from my desktop to friends' computers to help them out.