Connecting to car audio via USB Corrupts SD Card

Arsenalc08

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here my name's Adam nice to meet you all.

So here's pretty much whats happening. I have a usb capable car stereo (Alpine Ida-x100) and when I connect it to my droid it allows me to view all the folders on my droid. So I go to the folder on my SD card containing my music pick a song and it plays. This is where it goes horribly wrong.

Once I stop my car put it in park, I dismount my droid. Once dismounted the droid scans the sd card for problems and then BAM Damaged SD please reformat or whatever the error is.

Any one else get this problem or know of a way to fix it?

mcinvaille

Reaction score
Nobody Really

Nope, I do not know of many people with this capability on their car stereo. However, USB should be USB. If it works on your PC/Mac it should be ok on your stereo. Otherwise I would suspect the stereo. This doesn't help I realize but at least you got a response! Good luck either way and let us know if you come up with something.

philipbanach

Reaction score
Same problem

Did you ever find a solution? I have the exact same problem

Hello, I'm new here my name's Adam nice to meet you all.

So here's pretty much whats happening. I have a usb capable car stereo (Alpine Ida-x100) and when I connect it to my droid it allows me to view all the folders on my droid. So I go to the folder on my SD card containing my music pick a song and it plays. This is where it goes horribly wrong.

Once I stop my car put it in park, I dismount my droid. Once dismounted the droid scans the sd card for problems and then BAM Damaged SD please reformat or whatever the error is.

Any one else get this problem or know of a way to fix it?

baniels

Reaction score
Can you "eject" the device from the car stereo before you dismount from the Droid? I would think there would be something similar to Windows' "Safely Remove" process.

baniels

Reaction score
I will answer my own question.

This is from page 4 of the manual for your stereo device.

attachment.php

Manual found HERE.

Attachments

• x100.png
    x100.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,101

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can you "eject" the device from the car stereo before you dismount from the Droid? I would think there would be something similar to Windows' "Safely Remove" process.

This was my first thought also, it has to be the problem

Sent from my Droid thru Time and Space

slow68

Reaction score
Try testing with another Micro SD card to check. My issue was similar yet mine turned out to be a bad slot to accept the card (was hoping it was just a card). Seems like it was working just fine (a little slower than expected). Then I got the message that my card was blank, Yet plugging into the pc and I could still see all my files. Just shutting the phone off would make it go from being able to use the memory card to "card has been removed" or "SD card is blank". The Verizon store said the slot was bad and the new referb is on the way.

philipbanach

Reaction score
I'm confused

[How does trying a different card tell me if the slot is bad? I think this problem is different. When I disconnect my phone from my car stereo, the card is definitely corrupted. I tried turning the phone off, and connecting my phone to my computer to see if I could retrieve my files that way, but reformatting was the only way to make my sd card usable again. I think somehow dismounting the phone on the stereo end is the right track, although changing the source didn't work anyway. But even if it did fix the problem, I would still be weary of connecting my phone again. What if I stall my engine or just forget to change the source before I stop the engine, I will lose all my files again. Any thoughts?

QUOTE=slow68;515348]Try testing with another Micro SD card to check. My issue was similar yet mine turned out to be a bad slot to accept the card (was hoping it was just a card). Seems like it was working just fine (a little slower than expected). Then I got the message that my card was blank, Yet plugging into the pc and I could still see all my files. Just shutting the phone off would make it go from being able to use the memory card to "card has been removed" or "SD card is blank". The Verizon store said the slot was bad and the new referb is on the way.[/QUOTE]

slow68

Reaction score
Was not trying to say this was your issue - just giving some options to check. My issue was a bad SD slot, while connected to the PC the contents of the card could be read just fine (copying to/from was slower than expected for a USB2 connection). When not connected the phone was having issues reading the contents of the SD card and would say that the card was not formatted properly or blank. The same card placed in another phone was able to read the card just fine, a new card placed in my phone was showing up the same as the old card.

Just sharing my experience and trying to provide options to check - that's all.

jmartinez06

Reaction score
I had the same problems, what I did to get it working properly was to take out the sd card, put it in an adapter into the computer, run swisknife for sd, reformat to fat32, then load it on my droid. Format from the droid again and done. I have an alpine cda-105 that was doing that and no more problems. On a side note I ordered and hooked up the kce-400bt, the bluetooth thing and now I can stream not only my sd card music, but pandora, slacker, and rcherry player for hd radio stations! Plus I can controll the droid from my dash and I can even controll my stereo from my droid.. word!

sbergdor

Reaction score
I had the same problem when attaching the Driod to my PC.
Had to dismount the drive by using the eject button on the laptop.
I believe it can be dismounted by sliding down the notification bar at the top of the Droid screen and dismounting it that way before disconnecting the USB cable.