Connecting to BMW through USB

tadow213m

Reaction score
My car has two USB ports, one in the glove box and one in the arm rest compartment and when I connect my TB through these ports my car charges my phone but for some reason I can't listen to my mp3s. Does anyone know how I can access my music on my phone and have it play through my car using the USB ports? My music is currently all on my SD card if that makes any difference. My ipod works fine through the ipod adapter and the aux connector but is prefer to use my Droid for music.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Blacksantron

Reaction score
I don't own a TB, an iPod, or a BMW. But I want to know the answer/solution...

Sent from my Supercharged Chainfired Cyanogenated DROID X @1.25

OP
T

tadow213m

Reaction score
I've been researching online but no solid answers yet, I hope someone here can provide a solution. :)

dark juggalo

Reaction score
well I dont own a beemer but I do own a stereo that has a usb port and I do have to change the input on the stereo to usb before it will read it if I'm using my TB but dont have to do anything if I use the ipod.

OP
T

tadow213m

Reaction score
I tried plugging the phone in and setting it to disk drive as well as charge only, both didn't work. The idrive system on my BMW doesn't recognize the device.

Blacksantron

Reaction score
AFAIK Motorola sponsors a different manufacturer in the racing leagues... Maybe an issue?

Sent from my Supercharged Chainfired Cyanogenated DROID X @1.25

thelopenator

Reaction score
you need to have a AUX slot in your car to do it man. plug that into your phone and then into the AUX. unfortunitly TB cant be played like that

Stromboni

Reaction score
Thelopenator is correct. The only way to access the music and to have it charging is to use the USB connection as well as an AUX cable.

OP
T

tadow213m

Reaction score
I have a thumb drive that holds mp3 files and when I plug it into my cars USB port my idrive shows that an external device has been connected and from here I can play any mp3 I like (no aux required) . Shouldn't the tb work the same way?

crapple_h8er

Reaction score
works with my pioneer head unit plugged into the USB port and connecting as disc drive, but its no factory head unit either, lol

Sent from my space-age wireless communication device.

wbeetus

Reaction score
Maybe your car can't find the music files on the tb because they are in a folder that the car can't get to?
To play music on my tb, I connect it to my Saab via bluetooth and just select the input on the radio to bluetooth audio. Maybe you could do it this way?

OP
T

tadow213m

Reaction score
I don't know if the folder makes any difference because the car won't even recognize the phone like it does when I plug in my thumb drive.

OP
T

tadow213m

Reaction score
It works!!!! Thank you so much, you were right about the order. I set my phones default to disk drive, I plugged the mini USB into my phone first, I then plugged the USB into my car last and it said searching and once it found my device it said "htc" . From here I was able to scroll through all my songs.