Connecting my BMW with my Droid

ed-d

Reaction score
Very similar issue

I have an '08 BMW 528xi and have been connecting my Droid to it since the day the Droid was released. All was good until last week when I started receivng the com.android.phone error message only when the phone is connected to the car's BT. Verizon suggested a hard reset which I reluctantly did. The phone was repaired with the BMW's BT and worked fine for a few days. The error message has now returned and I only have 3 apps loaded other than those that were preloaded (I originally had about 20 apps but have not reloaded them since the hard reset).

Thoughts?

I don't see how this is a BMW issue as it worked for a month with no issue. It could be one of the apps but I have so few now that I doubt that as well - especially 'cause the error started days after I loaded the few apps. Is this an android or Droid issue?

jay711

Reaction score
Im also having a same problem, i currently have 08 with new updates
everytime i get on the car..the bluetooth connects and disconnects by itself. if the system cant my phone...what i do is, i go settings and manually turn off the bluetooth setting and turn it back on...this works sometimes tho.

ed-d

Reaction score
Curious if you've always had this issue or did it start recently?

I had been using my Droid in my BMW (also an '08) for at least 4 weeks with no issues and then the com.android.phone error started only when connected to my BMW car BT.

petem

Reaction score
I have 2007 X5 - worked flawless for two months suddenly will not connect. Seems to hang when transferring contact list and get the message on the Droid about com.android.phone stopping unexpectedly and have to "force close" (the only option on the screen).

I have not installed any new apps recently

petem

Reaction score
My problem just started happening this weekend - I called Verizon Tech support, they had me update the phone, but have the same results.

ed-d

Reaction score
BMW BT and Droid

I have the same problem with my '08 528xi. Actually, I had the problem twice. The first time, the connection was working fine for months and then starting getting the com.android.phone error. Moto and Verizon had me reset the phone but did not cure the problem. They replaced the phone. Now 2 months later, it started happening again after working fine for the past 2 months. Tech support at both Verizon and Moto don't know why its happening but think that the phone's software is currupt. So they want to replace the phone again. This sucks!!

ed-d

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to resolve this other than replacing the phone?

petem

Reaction score
Factory Reset worked for me....

Hi Ed - I was able to do a factory reset on the phone and it seemed to work and has been for about 2 weeks - so I guess I have about 6 weeks until I have to do it again :frown:

Be sure to have your google account info handy, I didn't so I had to reload my apps - not a huge deal, but someone I work with went through the factory reset for a different issue and once he logged in during the initial boot (just like when the phone was new) he said all his apps reloaded. That was a lot less pain than I had...

good luck!

helter

Reaction score
My 325XI 2006 has been disconneting a lot the last couple of weeks. I removed the battery for a minute and the problem was corrected.

ed-d

Reaction score
Got it resolved - without much help from Verizon or Moto.

Deleted my contacts on the phone and then re-synced with outlook. With a refreshed listing of contacts on the phone, connected with my car's bluetooth and all is now good.

There must have been a bad contact record on my phone that was causing trouble when it was uploading to the car.

lgtech

Reaction score
Ed-d

Glad to hear that you have it sorted. What was the best way to delete all of your contacts? I cannot seem to find the right menu command on the Droid to do so. No way I want to delete all manually.

Btw... just took delivery of a 2006 330 Ci with 28K miles. I'm soooo excited!

~~~~~ UPDATE ~~~~~~

The same thing worked for me. Thanks Ed-d! You da' man!

For others reading this...
1) Export contacts to your sd card (or other deveice) as a backup.
2) delete all email accounts (some accounts sync contacts) - ensure contacts are empty on your Droid.
3) Create accounts again.
4) Sync contacts back to droid.
5) Pair to your BMW.

Just as a point of reference, I was sitting in the BMW when it was syncing the contacts with Exchange. At that time, the BMW radio indicated "address book empty." Once the syncing was complete, it downloaded the address book perfectly.

So, it was not a third party app that was creating the com.android.phone force close error. The whole thing was throwing up on a bad record somewhere.

lgtech

ed-d

Reaction score
An easier way to delete all contacts on your droid:

settings -> applications -> manage applications -> menu -> select filter -> select contacts storage -> select clear data

All contacts will be deleted but your email account will remain intact.

My contacts come from Outlook and typing in server locations etc when setting up the email account on the droid is a pain so I found deleting the contacts to be less painful.

OP
A

Adiction

Reaction score
After 10 months with my Droid, my Bluetooth problem connecting to my car has been resolved with the new Android 2.2 (Froyo) update. I can finally use my phone when driving.