Connecting Droid to computer

sherwizzle

Reaction score
I am a new droid user and I've run into a problem. I can't seem to get the phone to connect to my PC. I have looked online and on these forums and the suggestions people make aren't working. I have an HP pavilion dv7 computer running windows xp. When I plug in the phone though the USB port my computer says its found new hardware and tries to find drivers for the device but cannot locate any (including the internet). When I go to My Computer the phone comes up as a removable disk. When I click on the device it says "please insert a disk into the removable disk". Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Mounting the SD card.
2. Removing the SD card and then re-inserting it
3. USB debugging

4. Restarting my computer
5. Testing various USB ports (all work with various other devices)

Please help me. I really can't figure this out and I'm getting impatient with this phone. I really love the phone but this is a real pain.

Thanks

OP
S

sherwizzle

Reaction score
I don't have a WIFI connection to work with. I need to know how to get the USB sync working.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just tried it on my old Desktop (still running XP) and it connected up perfect on the first time. Are you running any security programs or anything that may be blocking it?

OP
S

sherwizzle

Reaction score
I have mcafee and spybot but neither are running when I try to connect. Also I've turned off my firewall. Sometimes when I try to safely remove hardware it says the device is in use, but this doesnt happen everytime.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Try this link, this program will install the correct drivers needed to access your DROID.

http://www.motorola.com/medialink

Hopefully sherwizzle this will help. I use this program myself.
Lets us know how it works out for you !!!

OP
S

sherwizzle

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I'm trying it now. It's taking a really long time to downlaod and install. I'll reply back with whether it works or not.

As for the USB device uninstall suggestion, I've read this online in a few places. None of those places really explained how to do it, but I did try to do it myself. I went to the device manager but from there I was confused as to what to uninstall. I found the phone (I think) under portable devices A855. I uninstalled it and restarted my computer but when I plugged the phone back it it was still not syncing.

urklegrue

Reaction score
FWIW, the medialink didn't fix the issue for me.

sherwizzle, you have to uninstall it using this utility USBDeview - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com. After you download it, you must right click and "run as administrator" for it to actually do anything. Then right click on your Droid and Uninstall. Then plug your Droid back in, and it will reinstall it. Then it should work until the next time you unplug it.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
right click and "run as administrator"

That may not work for her, she is running XP.

I recommended this program because it contains all the drivers required. It is a long download. 120 megs or so. It's worth a try :p

urklegrue

Reaction score
I recommended this program because it contains all the drivers required. It is a long download. 120 megs or so. It's worth a try :p

Certainly worth a shot but like I said, it doesn't work for me for the same issue. I am running Windows 7, though. Mounting worked until I upgraded from Vista. :mad:

OP
S

sherwizzle

Reaction score
oops I am running from Vista not XP. I'm not sure why I wrote that. Well I've finally downloaded and installed Motorola Media Link. However, I'm not sure how to use it. I don't see any obvious way to drag and drop files from my computer to the phone with this program. Also, it still says insert a disk into removable disk when I got through the My Computer route. Is that going to always say that even if I can use the program to link my phone, or does that mean the issue is still unresolved.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
When you insert the USB Cable from the DROID into the computer,

Does it say DROOOIIDDD !!!

Have you clicked and dragged down the top menu bar
on your Droid and clicked on "USB Connected,
Select to copy files to/from your computer"

You click on that, then click MOUNT.

This should start up an AUTOPLAY window in Vista.

Click "OPEN TO VIEW FILES",

This Opens Windows Explorer / My Computer.

Be careful what you play with in here, you can damage your DROIDs Operation.

This gives you access to the SD Storage Device in your DROID.

Is this any help ?

urklegrue

Reaction score
Not to be flip, but the problem the OP, myself, and others on these here interwebs are experiencing is an actual bug, not just a matter of not selecting "mount." We're beyond mounting here. :p

This is the problem: You plug the USB cable in. Pull down the notification. Press mount. Here is where it seems to recognize it for a second, and the autoplay comes up on the PC, but then it disappears, and the notification on the droid reverts back to its pre-mounted state, and the drive is unreadable on the PC although it will still recognize that something is plugged in.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Not to be flip, but the problem the OP, myself, and others on these here interwebs are experiencing is an actual bug, not just a matter of not selecting "mount." We're beyond mounting here. :p

This is the problem: You plug the USB cable in. Pull down the notification. Press mount. Here is where it seems to recognize it for a second, and the autoplay comes up on the PC, but then it disappears, and the notification on the droid reverts back to its pre-mounted state, and the drive is unreadable on the PC although it will still recognize that something is plugged in.

If it is a bug, I haven't researched this enough to help then. I will have to defer to others to help fix the problem.

I don't have this issue on my DROID. I am running Stock VZW Firmware on it. (Semi Stock) I do run a few 2.1 Apps.

It this a rooted DROID issue ?