connecting a droid to an ipod boombox/car stereo accessory via a2dp bluetooth?

angelman

Reaction score
I have been wondering how to connect my droid to my car's stereo which only has a stupid ipod connector no aux. I was thinking maybe I could get some sort of a2dp bluetooth adapator which would connect to the car's ipod adaptor and then I could pair my droid with it. It sounds unlikely to be honest but I jsut wondered if anyone had thought of something like this. I wish motorola would put some effort into this. One of the reasons for the success of the ipod ironically I think is that custom connector. They can output data and audio etc. and presumably the decoding chip for the boombox manufacturer is relatively cheap. No such thing really exists for usb that I know of. It means that any music type dock has to have some sort of hacky thing to get an stereo headphone jack for audio streaming and a usb plug for charging. Has anyone made any sort of music dock for the droid other than the waste of space "moto media dock"?

mek_man

Reaction score
I have been wondering how to connect my droid to my car's stereo which only has a stupid ipod connector no aux. I was thinking maybe I could get some sort of a2dp bluetooth adapator which would connect to the car's ipod adaptor and then I could pair my droid with it. It sounds unlikely to be honest but I jsut wondered if anyone had thought of something like this. I wish motorola would put some effort into this. One of the reasons for the success of the ipod ironically I think is that custom connector. They can output data and audio etc. and presumably the decoding chip for the boombox manufacturer is relatively cheap. No such thing really exists for usb that I know of. It means that any music type dock has to have some sort of hacky thing to get an stereo headphone jack for audio streaming and a usb plug for charging. Has anyone made any sort of music dock for the droid other than the waste of space "moto media dock"?

It does exist, but the quality isn't that good. I did solve this problem in my car. You can check out my write-ups here:

mek_man Car Mods

Click on the posts with a2dp in the title. Hope this helps!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering how to connect my droid to my car's stereo which only has a stupid ipod connector no aux.
See if any companies such as DICE, Blitzsafe, USA Spec, Peripheral Electronics, etc make a line in adapter for the factory stereo on your year/make/model.

I haven't seen any bluetooth adapters that connect via your iPod connector.

Has anyone made any sort of music dock for the droid other than the waste of space "moto media dock"?
What exactly are you looking for from a dock? You just explained in your post how the Droid doesn't have a dock connector...