Connect to Wi-Fi but can't get to the Internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skuba

Reaction score
Hi,
I am travelling abroad and not wanting to use roaming I am trying to connect to the net via wi-fi. I can get signal and connect, but won't access the internet. Is there anything I am forgeting to do?
I have turned off mobile data to avoid roaming. Does it need to be on?
Thanks

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Moto Droid and my roaming is turned off. I am able to connect to you home router and do wifi without any issues.

Not sure but I do not think the HTC is different. My sense is that your connection to the router is the issue.

Mike

dylanthecat

Reaction score
if you are connecting via mobile hot spots it could be they require you to agree to TOS via a web page. If so, probably won't work with a smartphone. If this is your own router, try a re-boot of it.

OP
S

skuba

Reaction score
Hi, I actually have tried in different networks. At family home, at hot spots, etc...I can connect to network, but can't access internet.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Strange, i would suggest taking it back to the store and having them make it work or replace it. Not real familiar with the Incredible, sorry.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
Maybe try changing the Wi-Fi sleep policy. From the home screen click the menu button and go to: Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi Settings. On the Wi-Fi Settings screen click the menu button again and select "Advanced". Click on "Wi-Fi sleep policy" and you'll get a menu from which you can select one of the following options: "When screeen turns off" (default), "Never when plugged in", and "Never". I have mine set to "never" and I manually turn the wi-fi radio on and off from the Power Control widget on my home screen (it comes pre-loaded on Android).

Some wi-fi hotspots require you to accept a TOS (Terms of Service) agreement in the web browser before you can use the service. Once the Wifi is connected, open the browser. If your home page is still set to Google, you'll probably see the Google page come up, but I believe that's only a cached page, not a "live" page from the internet. I'll just try to open one of my bookedmarked pages or type msn.com in the address bar. That usually forces the wi-fi provider's TOS page to appear.

McDonald's now offers free wi-fi, and sometimes when I go there and turn on my wifi radio, my DoggCatcher app automatically tries to sync and download podcasts before I've had a chance to accept McDonald's TOS in the browser. Sometimes DoggCatcher shows that it downloaded podcasts, but, in fact, those files are dead. I delete them and add them back to the download queu after I've accepted the TOS. Now I set DoggCatcher's preference not to sync unless connected to Wifi and power. The I uncheck the "connected to power" option after I've accepted the TOS.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
There are forum posts about a lot of Droids having problems connecting to WIFI networks. Me personally - my droid connects to all the WiFi points (work/home/college) but loses the ability to do internet randomly after 10mins-2 hours of browsing. Motorola forums show a lot of people having this problem and suspect issues with WPA and WEP security keys.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've found that not all WiFi is the same. On a private network it was great, but a lot of "Free" Wifi spots seem crippled. For example, I can't enter the Market using McDonald's free Wifi. At Border's Books I can't access Amazon or Savvy Search. Those I can understand, but I also lose Bettr Flickr.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've also run into problems with wireless N routers running in mixed mode. Running them in G only seems to help.

My Droid kept dropping the connection when mine was in mixed mode but I have absolutely no problems with it in G only.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I've also run into problems with wireless N routers running in mixed mode. Running them in G only seems to help.

My Droid kept dropping the connection when mine was in mixed mode but I have absolutely no problems with it in G only.

Same here. Switched to just G and much more reliable.

nateccnn

Reaction score
How does WiFi work?

Getting connected just means that the radio in your phone has established a connection with the radio in the hotspot's router radio. That is the first step in negotiating a valid network connection...like plugging in a network cable into your RJ45 port. The computer and the router have to be instructed on what to do next.

Some networks use DHCP to issue a valid network IP address to any computer that connects. Some require a computer to authenticate with a user name and password. Some require a secure connection for that authentication. There are too many levels of security to go over for the purpose of this thread. But in order for you to get an IP address you have to communicate with the server that is behind that router you are connected to.

Once an IP adddress is "leased" to that computer (or your droid in this case) the computer needs more info about the network. Mainly it needs to know what DNS server is translating ip addresses to web addresses. It also needs to know the net mask setup. Netmask just tells the network how many connections are allowed and what type of address scheme it uses (class A, B, C...) and sort of works with DHCP to decide what IP adress to give (lease) to your device.

The IP Address does not need to be issued by the server thropugh DHCP. It can be hard coded into your device (Static IP rather than Dynamic). But it has to fit the rules of netmasking and the device has to know where the DNS server is (could be the same as the DHCP server or Domain Controller that authenticates your user name...or it could be three different servers).

In order for you to get the internet...your device has to answer all these questions. In order for your device to answer these questions you have to know how the network is communicating to all the nodes. The device has to match the network scheme. So talk to the network admin and get those answers.

We can only guess. Many have taken their best WAGs. Some will advise you to set up your device like they did theirs...since theirs works, yours should too, right? I'm not telling you how mine connects cuz it's top secret and I'd have to shoot you if I told you. <wink>

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.