Connect to a NAS

robinson crusoe

Reaction score
I just bought a Motorola Milestone and WD MYBook World Edition. I'm a novice user for both of them.

I want to connect to my storage directly with my phone but i couldn't find a way.

I found a software called Astro File Manager and a plugin Astro SMB Module but i couldn't setup it correctly. When i write my storage's ip as server name and a user name from the storage it says "connection succesful" but when i try to save it it gives error "error saving network connection".

I opened port 445, no change.

I found another software called Estrongs File Manager but it gives error when i try to run the setup. It says decomposition error(in Turkish, i cannot translate).

Is there a way to connect my storage directly from my phone?

OP
R

robinson crusoe

Reaction score
I somehow installed Estrongs File Manager and it works perfect.

There's only one problem. I can't access to "public" folder. It's weird because there are a couple of other default folders that are shared with everyone too and i can access to them without any problem :S If i can't solve the problem i'll carry my files to another folder and go on, but i hate temporary solutions.

OP
R

robinson crusoe

Reaction score
Thank you at least for trying.

When i try to open folders that i have no rights it says "network path not found or time out. Please try again".

Although public is a shared folder for everyone it doesn't allow me, it gives the same error.

There's another folder named download. Its access rules are the same as public and i can open that folder.

The problem is these folders come with storage as default and they give functionality.

OP
R

robinson crusoe

Reaction score
After spending 1 day to solve the problem, i give up.

I've created my own "public" folder and carry my files(still copying 1 tb of data :S).

The original folder gave functionality to my storage's usage but i prefer accessing files from my phone as i couldn't find a way to solve the problem.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
That is interesting. It sounds very much like it should do it. Unfortunately that error is too generic for me personally to figure out. The best idea I can offer is to contact Western Digital directly and ask them if they have any ideas or a software solution.

If it were on a Motorola Droid I could suggest trying a different kernel with a file system access module, but the Milestone is too locked down to be able to do that.

Good luck!

OP
R

robinson crusoe

Reaction score
In fact i asked the problem in WD forums but i didn't directly contact to support team.
I think hacking wd will do the job for me but i don't want to force it anymore. As a result i can get access to evey other folder and now i have a capasity of 32Gb+1Tb for my phone :D