connect droid to pc and access internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiro

Reaction score
I live in the middle of god knows where and the only kind of internet service we can get is dial up but phone companies have limits to how much you use is there a way I can connect my phone to my laptop and use its internet?

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
oops... my bad... not familiar with PDAnet... Just did Sholesmod and got the Tethering app that way.

Tatootie

Reaction score
Im just curious,. if you live in the middle of nowhere, and you get a good verizon signal - why the dial up/land line? It would cost you less going with a verizon mobile broadband set up wouldnt it?
I live in the middle of nowhere too, but, I get a lousy verizon signal. Im just praying for the day they put a tower up close enough to me where I can get a good 3g signal - then I am getting rid of my landline/dsl/extra expense!

rlb

Reaction score
Don't go overboard with the tethering or you might get caught by verizon. You aren't supposed to tether (rumor is that VZW will offer a tethering option for an additional monthly fee) so they might charge you if they find out (ie see that you're using a ton of data all of the sudden)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't go overboard with the tethering or you might get caught by verizon. You aren't supposed to tether (rumor is that VZW will offer a tethering option for an additional monthly fee) so they might charge you if they find out (ie see that you're using a ton of data all of the sudden)

+1 -- If too many people abuse this privilege for too long, we'll all lose the capability.

Tethering against terms of service (without paying VZW) is meant for light use when you dont have any other option.

disassemble

Reaction score

+1 -- If too many people abuse this privilege for too long, we'll all lose the capability.

Tethering against terms of service (without paying VZW) is meant for light use when you dont have any other option.

where are you guys getting these facts from?

what is the limit amount? is there even one? whos to say whats too much data and whats not if i pay for unlimited.. i might just surf on my phone 24/7 because i want too.. why is that not permitted?

i ask because my GF needs to get internet, and we were considering strictly using her android as her internet access point everyday... is that not a viable solution?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
where are you guys getting these facts from?

what is the limit amount? is there even one? whos to say whats too much data and whats not if i pay for unlimited.. i might just surf on my phone 24/7 because i want too.. why is that not permitted?

i ask because my GF needs to get internet, and we were considering strictly using her android as her internet access point everyday... is that not a viable solution?

Read your terms of service. Data plans for the phone are meant for data on the phone only.

Presently Verizon has no tway of telling if you're tethering, but I have no doubt that if what data they are tracking points to tethering, and you're not paying the extra fee, they'll hit you with massive charges.

There are a ton of threads on this right now, but basically, no one's saying you don't have unlimited data on your phone, but tethering without paying VZW is indeed a violation of the ToS, and if VZW really wanted to, they could hit you with a fee for every single MB you download.

Again, WiFi tethering and PDANet are great, but should not be used in place of a cable/DSL connection, lest VZW decides to go after all of us, and we all lose out.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
OP's question has been answered.

:closed_2: due to needless bickering....

Status
Not open for further replies.