Confused: Verizon Motorola Droid vs. Motorola Droid

CrimsnTide

Reaction score
Is there a difference?

So, I thought I "outgrew" this tinkering stuff, but I now have a son coming of age wanting to try some new things. So here it goes:

I have a son wanting either a Droid or BB...I have resisted since he would NOT need all the features. Now, I'm thinking of a Droid for myself. Doing some crunching, I think I can switch my son and me to Page +, and still keep others in the house on VZW family plan. My first question is purchasing a phone. I am confused when I read Verizon Droid vs. Motorola Droid. Can I purchase a Droid (having a CLEAN ESN) and start service with Page +? Is their a DIFFERENCE between a Verizon Droid and Motorola Droid?

There's a few auctions on E-Bay that will sell TWO phones at a small discount. One seller has two BRAND NEW phones in the box, never used for sale. However, he does list that the UPC is NOT on the box. Would this mean someone has received a rebate for this item and Verizon is "looking" for them to be activated - through Verizon with their data plan?

Any help on getting me started would be greatly appreciated.

gruve

Reaction score
There is no Verizon Droid, it's the Motorola Droid. They are probably referencing Motorola Droid for Verizon. As far as cutting the UPC, they most likely cut it for the rebate as they require the original UPC when you mail in for the rebate.

OP
C

CrimsnTide

Reaction score
There is no Verizon Droid, it's the Motorola Droid. They are probably referencing Motorola Droid for Verizon. As far as cutting the UPC, they most likely cut it for the rebate as they require the original UPC when you mail in for the rebate.

I appreciate the reply... So, since someone (Verizon?) has given a rebate for the two phones, are they in Verizon's "system" so that I would not be able to use them with another provider????

I just hate to pay $500 - $600 for phones and not be able to use them on Page Plus...

Serialkilla

Reaction score
Don't think it would be worth going thru what you would, to flash them to work on another network,and lose out on warranties, and not have a phone working properly that you spent so much money on. Droids are exclusively Verizon phones,so you would have to somehow have them flashed over to page plus,and they may not allow you to do so. I personally don't think its worth the trouble. Where is page plus service from? UK?

gruve

Reaction score
I looked at the website for page plus, looks like they're based out of Ohio. From what I can see, most of the phones are CDMA. I would contact them to see if Moto Droid for Verizon will work on their network. They don't offer any Droid or Android based phones on their website.

OP
C

CrimsnTide

Reaction score
Page Plus 1200 mins + 1200 text + 50MB data = $29.95 month

I know, I know... 50MB is NOTHING - but 29.95 a month...

The kids school is totally setup for WiFi, and I'm actually more worried about his texting habits, but like everywhere else, a few more "sheckles" and you can get unlimited... People are just waiting for the unlimited data on Page +... It's just a matter of time. I'm reading Page Plus uses the Verizon Network for their coverage, but I need to Verify...

Here's one of many discussions on Page Plus...
I think the answer to the data "problem would be "Droidwall"

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/16839-droid-a8500-data-usaage.html

silvere2

Reaction score

The kids school is totally setup for WiFi, and I'm actually more worried about his texting habits, but like everywhere else, a few more "sheckles" and you can get unlimited... People are just waiting for the unlimited data on Page +... It's just a matter of time. I'm reading Page Plus uses the Verizon Network for their coverage, but I need to Verify...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/16839-droid-a8500-data-usaage.html

You're going to need an unlimited data plan to enjoy the droid at all...

gruve

Reaction score

You're going to need an unlimited data plan to enjoy the droid at all...

He is correct. Good deal by all means with the minutes + text.

Dr.Death

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I think there is a difference. I bought my droid turbo as an emergency from best buy. They had a "special" droid turbo you could not get from verizon. When it took the inevitable dump, verizon could not help me and best buy WOULD NOT help me. Had to go straight to motorola and that was a pain. I hope this phone will last until my 2 years is up as it is such a pain to get a new one on manufactures warranty. When I buy a phone thru verizon and need a replacement I have it the next day.