confused sprecovery/nano droid etc.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by zatoichi, Oct 8, 2010.

1. zatoichi

zatoichi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im moving toward rooting my phone however, when it comes to recovery methods I am very confused. There seems to be alot of applications that do this? nanodroid, clockwork, sp recovery, boot strap, titanium. What applications in order do I need to install, to perform a safe backup data/apps. There seems to be variations in functions of these apps from each other what are they?

2. skylordusa1

skylordusa1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Once you are rooted all you really really need is either clockwork recovery or sp recovery. They both do pretty much the same thing except clockwork recovery works with ROM Manager (an app from the market). I personally use clockwork recovery. Both of these recovery programs allow you to make a complete backup of your phone setup so incase while installing a new custom rom you encounter problems such as bootloop/phone not working correctly etc you can just do a restore using your recovery program and it will restore you to the exact setup you had when you ran the backup. These programs backup everything system setting/app+data/data such as text messages. So if you restore you wont have to do anything the phone will come back in the same condition it was when you did the back up. Now say you do a backup of your current settings. You install a new custom rom. After installing the new rom your gmail account/market will restore your apps you already had on your phone but without the data within them. So you will have to set the apps back up like login info/settings in the app. So you like this new rom and want to keep it but dont really want to have to restore the data to all the apps on your phone. Well thats what titanium backup (app in market) is for. You can also do a backup of all your apps and data using TB. So once you have your new custom rom installed and gmail account/market reinstalls your apps automatically for you. You can use TB to restore the data for the apps.

So first step would be to root your phone and flash an alternate recovery program such as sp recovery or clockwork recovery. Then make a backup of your current setup using sp/clockwork. Once that is done now you can go nuts with installing/trying different roms and have a perfect backup to go back to incase of issues.

Both sp and clockwork work the same. You will see what i mean once you start messing with it. If you want to root and try sp recovery which is what I did when I first started click the link in my sig. Once you do that you can either keep sp recovery. Or you can just download ROM Manager from the market and once that app is on your phone you can flash clockwork recovery to your phone using that app.

Sorry if this is to long but Im at work so sorry if I was rambling. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

3. skylordusa1

skylordusa1 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Sorry I just realized you have a droid 2. Dont follow the link in my signature. That link is for rooting for a moto droid 1.

4. zatoichi

zatoichi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @skylord thank you very informative I appreciate that, that cleared some fog outta my head.

I rooted my phone(no pc method), got bootstrap ran it, got rom manager, ran clockworkmod, ran backup rom which im assumeing backs up my current state, and then upped a theme via boot menu. Everything seems to work ;) ill have to check into titanium as I think ill be playing with alot of theme/roms over the next few days.

Search tags for this page

nano backup android