Confused. GPS vs aGPS on deactivated phone.

Hyposprayer

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a deactivated Eris. I already know I can do anything I would normally be able to do on regular wifi. However, I was at first under the impression that all my GPS capabilities would be gone. That being said I found a post that said that GPS would work, but aGPS wouldn't. So I went through and read about the differences and, as I understood it, all aGPS does is make the phone acquire a signal more quickly. Is that right?

The main reason I ask this is because I want to use apps like RunKeeper/Cardiotrainer, but I don't want to risk bringing my current phone with me and dropping it while I run. So would I be able to still use the GPS for an app like that on my old Eris without Verizon service? In addition, my gym only allows cell phones in certain areas of the gym, so I figure they won't mind it if I use a deactivated phone for JEFIT or something since it can't receive calls.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
However, I was at first under the impression that all my GPS capabilities would be gone.
Nope. The GPS receiver is still there and it doesn't need cell service or data to determine your location.

That being said I found a post that said that GPS would work, but aGPS wouldn't.
Also incorrect. There's a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation on GPS out there. aGPS may not be able to contact the assistance servers but most aGPS receivers can fall back on standalone mode.

So I went through and read about the differences and, as I understood it, all aGPS does is make the phone acquire a signal more quickly. Is that right?
That's what it's designed to do. However, I've certainly run into many instances where the aGPS receiver on my Droid never obtains a fix. I've since then disabled aGPS. Any length of time is faster than never.

So would I be able to still use the GPS for an app like that on my old Eris without Verizon service?
Yes. GPS receivers (including aGPS) do not require cell service/data. Your GPS-enabled app, on the other hand, may require data. It really just depends on the specific app.

The GPS receiver only determines your location using the GPS satellites, providing latitude, longitude, altitude and time. Everything else (maps, tracking, POI's, directions/routing, prompts, etc) is supplied by the GPS app.

Last edited:

lemodular

Reaction score
The standalone GPS receiver in your phone only requires a view to the sky to work. An aGPS is not a separate GPS receiver but is just an implementation of the carrier's cell network to "assist" (and sometimes as a sole source) in locating your receiver and thus enable you to be located even when the satellites are out of site.

The short of it is that you will not be able to use aGPS in a deactivated phone, which usually means you will not be able to use it indoors. Your GPS should work with all apps that does not require streaming data (unless you are on wifi). There are standalone navigation apps that download the database to your sd card so it would not require data updates such as Google maps. I know runkeeper uses GPS data and overlays your route on a map, however, I do not know if it streams the map data live.

OP
Hyposprayer

Hyposprayer

Reaction score
You both were awesomely helpful! Thank you so much for your responses! dancedroid