confused about rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by turdbogls, Aug 10, 2010.

1. turdbogls

turdbogls New Member

yeah i am a noob...i did some research and nothing reallly came up.

basically i forced the official 2.2 update last week.

decided i wanted to root afterall so i downloaded easyroot from the marketplace and did that with no issues. then i went to ROM manager, got clockworkmod recovery working, downloaded Bugless beast, rebooted into recovery and got the CWM recovery screen, and was stuck from there, i didn't know what to do, so i just rebooted back to stock 2.2.

whenever i download a ROM, it finishes, but when it prompts me to reboot, it reboots into normal recovery mode or doesn't reboot at all. and when i try to reflash clickworkmod recovery i get an error saying "an error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!" i know for a fact i gave it super user access when i ran the ROM manager.

so basically i am stuck. i just want bugless beast, but i am having issues with SP and CMW recovery where they dont want to work correctly...just boots to the stock recovery.

i am a total noob, just got my droid, just started reading about it. please help, try to use full names of programs, and links if possible.

also wondering about overclocking AND wifi tethering. do i need a different kernal for this, or does BB come with overclock and wifi tethering. i have barnacle installed, but it doesn't seem to be working on rooted stock 2.2.
    sorry for all the rambling...i just really want to know what i am doing so i can possibly help out in the future.
    thanks guys
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. turdbogls

turdbogls New Member

can anyone help me here? still not finding the answers anywhere.

currently i am rooted, and have superuser status. i have the latest rom manager downloaded, and i have a BB and Cynogen ROM downloaded from Rom Manager. when i go to install, it says it is going to reboot into clockworkmod recovery, i say OK, and it does NOTHING...doesn't reboot at all. if i manually reboot into recovery, it does the stock recovery. when i try to "flash ClockworkMod Recovery from RM i get an error message saying "an error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!"

what is going on here? i get the same message when i try to flash SP recovery.

also Rom Manager says my current recovery:clockworkmod 2.5.0.1 which is the same as the latest recovery.
  3. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

My oh my, another Easy Root/ROM Manager issue ... I walked someone through this earlier.
    1) open RM and scroll down to "All ClockworkMod Recoveries"
    2) Select an older version (2.0.1.3 usually works for me).
    3) Hit OK, after the " Successfully flashed ClockworkMod recovery!" appears hit OK. Then do that 2 more time (staying with 2.0.1.3)
    4) Scroll up to "Download ROM" and select whick ROM you'd like to run.
    5) Being that you already have a backup, just check the "Wipe data/cache" box after the download is complete.

That should do it - let me know how you make out.
  4. YankInDaSouth

BTW - this is a ROM Manager issue, nothing you did ... so don't beat yourself up :tongue:
  5. turdbogls

turdbogls New Member

Ugh...I am still getting that error message....not sure what's up but it downloads the file to like 99% then gives me the message. I appreciate the help tho...now help me with this....hahaha
  6. YankInDaSouth

Sorry, had to catch some Z's ...

Weird! Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling RM? Aside from that the only thing I can think of is installing SPRecovery and going that route.
  7. turdbogls

turdbogls New Member

yeah i did do that....i finally got it working.

basically went into easyroot, and unrooted, menue button, force re-root, reboot system, re-install RM, and went from there without a hitch.
    thanks for your help.

currently running bugless beast V0.4 with no issues, and wifi tethering working (i think...dont have any accepted devices around to test it out...unfortunately my Zune HD is not supported)

so as far as getting it overclocked (BB is overclicked to 800mhz) to like 1ghz, is that just another kernal i have to DL and flash? i think i am actually starting to understand this stuff...haha
  8. YankInDaSouth

Here's how I install kernels:

First I download a few and put them on my SD card. Phones are picky about what kernels they like. So, if it's a Chevy kernel I'd d/l the 1.0ULV, 1.0LV, 1.0MV etc.

After you get some on your SD card, go into ROM Manager and select "Install ROM from SD card"

Find where it is and select it - no need to wipe data/cache, but as always MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CURRENT BACKUP OF YOU ROM

Now, if everything boots up and looks good, you're done. You may need an app like SetCPU in order set the speeds.

HOWEVER, if you get stuck in a boot loop or stuck on the "M" logo this is where downloading several kernels comes in handy :)

Simply pull the battery out and wait a few seconds. Put it back in a boot up in recovery (hold down the X button while powering on, blah, blah, blah)

Then select "install zip file" (or however it's worded), scroll down to you stash of kernels and pick a different one.
  9. turdbogls

turdbogls New Member

Fantastic!....now if i do this, am i going to loose all my apps/games i downloaded like i did when i went to BB? is there any way to move them all to the SD card so this wont happen every time i install a different ROM?
  10. YankInDaSouth

No, when installing themes and kernels you don't wipe data/cache so everything will be there. Once again though, ALWAYS HAVE A CURRENT BACKUP BEFORE YOU FLASH A ROM OR INSTALL A KERNEL/THEME. (I stress that cuz I care :))

You can get Titanium Backup off the market to backup apps AND app data!
  11. turdbogls

turdbogls New Member

Ok thats what i thought. you have been a big help. appreciate it man
  12. YankInDaSouth

No problem, glad I could help!